Thread: Hard Drive Replacement in Lenovo ThinkPad R50e

Hard Drive Replacement in Lenovo ThinkPad R50e

From the last few months I was using the Lenovo ThinkPad R50e and before few days I came to know that its hard drive have fails. For that reason, I have decided to replace that hard drive with the new hard drive. I found the Western Digital 160GB hard drive for upgrade and I tried with replacing the existing hard drive with this one and it has done successfully. But when I stated the system at that time I get an error message which is saying that:
    • PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

I am sure here that I am having the correct hard drive because before that I have also checked this one with the help of the Linux and there I found that this is working fine. Any advice in this cause?

Re: Hard Drive Replacement in Lenovo ThinkPad R50e

In this cause I would like to suggest you to try to update the firmware on the drive. I am not sure that this will help in your cause or not but you can try with this. Hope that if update the firmware on the drive will help you then this cause then you will not need to search for the more suggestion on this topic.

Ok, if you are facing this problem then I think that you will need to check once again as I am suggesting here:
    • Make sure that you have secured drive properly in its caddy with all four screws.
    • And also the label facing down, and pushed in all the way by its cover.
    • Try to check this all once more and then try to start your system. I this also not worked in your cause then reply here for the more help.

Really I have not supposed that I might need to update the firmware on the new drive as it's, new. How would I go about doing this? I have double-checked the drive is properly fitted and attached physically. But still get the same problem. Any other suggestion in this cause.

I don’t say that this is problem is related with the older BIOS. After reading your post here can say that your problem is related with the hard drive only. But I you are thinking that this is due to the older BIOS then try to get the latest update for your system and then see if this help your system to recognize the hard drive. I am not sure about this. And if this also not worked in your cause then I will say you to try to check your system using the other hard drive, if at that time your system recognize that drive then this is sure that your Western Digital 160GB hard drive is faulty and if your system not recognize the other hard drive then there will be some problem in your system only. Try with this and reply here back about this. And also tell me that When you insert the drive and go into BIOS>Startup>Boot is the new hard drive visible there as an option?

When you insert the drive and go into BIOS>Startup>Boot is the new hard drive visible there as an option?
    For that post here I will say that no, I have also checked on the bios boot options and there I found that my new hard drive is not listed over there. And for making sure about this I have also checked with the other spare 12GB drive and this was recognized fine in the system. I am thinking that this Western Digital 160GB hard drive is faulty and I have decided to change this one and get the other one.