Thread: Western Digital 160GB EIDE Hard drive not working with Lenovo ThinkPad R50e laptop

Western Digital 160GB EIDE Hard drive not working with Lenovo ThinkPad R50e laptop

I have in Lenovo ThinkPad R50e laptop and my hard drive failed. So I have bought a Western Digital 160GB EIDE. I have got it checked and I know that it is suitable with the Lenovo laptop. But my computer is not recognizing it. I am getting the error message error message: PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable. Actually the new hard drive is fine as I was able to format it. I have used it as external hard disk with linux and it was working fine. I have installed windows xp and it is not working with it. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Re: Western Digital 160GB EIDE Hard drive not working with Lenovo ThinkPad R50e laptop

Well I had also gone through this issue. I had tried lot of things but I couldn’t succeed and finally I had to take the laptop to the service center. I would request you to take the laptop to the Lenovo service center. I hope your laptop is under the warranty period. I would say that if you don’t want to take your laptop to the Lenovo guys then atleast take your laptop to the local technician. I don’t assume that the problem is big enough.

Re: Western Digital 160GB EIDE Hard drive not working with Lenovo ThinkPad R50e laptop

I have gone through many forums and I have come to a conclusion that this problem can be resolved after updating the bios. I would suggest you to update the bios. I hope this will resolve your issue. If it doesn’t help, then kindly let me know so that I can give you some other effective solution

I would like to tell you that you must try to update the firmware on the hard drive. I hope you know how to do that. If you don’t know how to update it then I would suggest you to take the help of the google website. Try googling on the internet. If this doesn’t help then I would say that you can take advice of some experts. I would say that have a look on the lenovo support page. Look for the information regarding installing for windows xp.

I think there is some problem with the motherboard. I hope you are confirmed that the hard drive is supported. I suppose that 160 gb should not be a issue.

i think you should check out the cables and wires that allows the hard drive and the motherboard to connect. try to check the cables. you can visit the hardware shop and get it checked. i would say that do not try to do it yourself as laptops are very sensitive and get damaged if anything went wrong. it is always advisable to take the laptop to the hardware shop