Thread: Lenovo ThinkPad W520 so slow on battery

Lenovo ThinkPad W520 so slow on battery

I am having some problem in my new Lenovo ThinkPad W520 and that is when I use this ThinkPad running on battery power, it runs very slow. For that I have also tried with the setting the battery power to the maximum performance but still get the same problem over there. And while doing this all things I I understand that the speedstep stuff would be disabled, but the laptop only runs at about 35 % of the total performance. So I came here to know some suggestion to do, which will help my ThinkPad to run with the reasonable performance.

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad W520 so slow on battery

For that reason I will suggest you to contact with the Lenovo support and tell them about your problem. They will really help you in this cause. But before going for that, fist try to update the BIOS to the latest version which is available for your system. Hope that this will help you to resolve your problem.

I can say here that if you are using the right settings then Lenovo ThinkPad W520 runs at nearly 55% of maximum performance when on battery. And for that I think that you will need to check for the performance setting. Try to do that and fixing the unplug bug. But in the reviews of this Lenovo ThinkPad W520, I see that they have told that it will run with the 100% of the performance, but I can see that there are too many of the users of this ThinkPad who are saying about this performance problem.

When I am doing some heavy compute operation and if at that time I am not having power plug and I am running using the battery power then at that time I really do not appreciate that the laptop only runs at very slow speed. And I have face this problem so many times while doing the heavy compute operation, and at that time I get embarrassed at how slow my laptop is. After following your suggestion I also tried with the checking for the latest update and there also I get that this not helped me to improve the battery performance of my ThinkPad. Is there anyone having the other suggestion in this cause, and also thanks for suggesting me about the BIOS update.

Yes, I think that Sandy Bridge was designed to give you that much level of the performance, but you are not getting that much level of speed because Lenovo ThinkPad W520 is having the some known issues with throttling on battery. For that reason I have contacted with them and they told me that work is going on this bug. Hope that they will soon, resolve this problem.

i want the choice using power manager this is because if I set it to maximum performance, I mean just that maximum performance, not maximum battery life. any other suggestion?

Here first tell me that which PU you are having? I am having I7-2820QM 2.3 GHZ and this works very fine when this uses the battery on demand with BIOS 1.26 and Power Manager set to Energy Saver. I am very happy with this CPU. What about you’re CPU? Reply me back then I will say something about your problem. And for you because I think that you will need to use power manager for improving the speed of your system.

For getting resolve your problem I will suggest you to follow the steps which I have suggested follows:
    • First try to download and install the HWiNFO64, which is professional hardware information and diagnostic tools.
    • And after this Lenovo Power Manager 3.61
    • And then switch to the Advance view
    • Then goto the System Settings | System Performance and set it to Turbo or Maximum Turbo
    • Shut down your system
    • And then pull the AC charger form your system
    • And then power on the Lenovo ThinkPad W520
    • And then use the summery mode and start the HWiNFO64 program

I am sure that this will help you to get resolve your problem.

Hey dude, thanks a lot for giving me such a great steps. I will try with this and if while trying if I get some problem related with that then I will reply here back for the more help in this cause.

I was also having this problem and for resolving this problem I tried with the performance tests with PCMARK7 and got a score of 3987 on AC and 2756 on Battery. I also ran the tests with the Intel TurboBoost Monitor active and after running this test I can see that CPU throttling back on AC after a bit from 3.4 GHz to 3.1 GHz. And after trying with this all things I will say you here that system feels good enough for my purposes on battery. If you are still facing that problem then I will suggest you to try with the suggestion which I have given to you. Hope that this will really help you in this cause.

ok, thanks for that suggestion. I am thinking to try with that all suggestion since you are saying that you have also resolve your same problem after following those steps only. While trying with that all steps if I get some problem related with that then I will reply here back for the more suggestion.