Thread: Fan noise in Lenovo ThinkPad T420

Fan noise in Lenovo ThinkPad T420

I just bought the new Lenovo ThinkPad T420 before few days and I am very happy with this machine. But from the day when I get back this ThinkPad, I am having the fan noise problem with this, and in the reviews of this machine there I can see that they have listed that this is very quiet. For that reason I am thinking that in my ThinkPad the fan is faulty for that reason it is making so much of the noise. When I start this, from that time also I hear that the fan is making the noise constantly. I am alos having Dell E4300 and D505 and they are more quiet then this one. so for that reason I came here to kow that is there anyone else having the same problem with their T40 or Is it a general feature with this notebook?

Re: Fan noise in Lenovo ThinkPad T420

In that because I think that there will be need of the BIOS update for this. I am not sure about this because I am not having this ThinkPad, but for you I will suggest to check for the latest BIOS update for this. While checking if there you find the BIOS update for your system then tries to get that update and hope that this update will really help you to get resolve your Fan noise problem.

Ok, after seeing your suggestion I tried with the latest BIOS update for my system and yes there I found the latest update for my system. And I updated from 1.16 to 1.22. But after this update also I get the same problem over there. Any other suggestion in this cause??

After coming here, I came to know that you are having the fan noise problem. So for that reason I will recommend you to download the TPFanControl in your system and see how the fan is behaving with respect to temperatures. Let me tell you that this will not help you to directly control the speed of the system, but this will help you to make sure about how the fan is behaving with respect to temperatures and after watching this you will get some help to control the speed of the FAN. I am suggesting you about the TPFanControl because, I am also having this Apps and this really help me a lot to control the speed of the fan to reduce the Fan noise.

Thanks for suggesting me about the TPFanControl, I will see if I try this one. I know that this is not the big problem with the machine but I am making this thread her because I am thinking that this will have difficulties believing the fan should be this noisy in a brand new T420, without something being wrong.

Ok, for that reason reply me back that this start happening out of the box or this start happening after installing software in your system?

Sure, when I take this out from the Box from that time also I get that this making the noise too much. And also I am thinking that I am the only one who is having the fan noise of the T420 too high and after searching about this so much I came to know that it seems like something is wrong. And now I am deciding to replace my Lenovo ThinkPad T420 if I not able to resolve this noise problem. What you all will like to say in this cause for the replacement of the ThinkPad?

If you have decided for the contacting with the Lenovo support o else you are thinking for the replacing this machine then it’s ok. But before that you should try with the some more suggestion in this cause. For that first tell me that do you having the Lenovo System Toolbox preloaded on your system. If not then try to get and if you are having this then run the stress test and see if your system is overheating. I am suggesting you about this because this might help you to control the speed of the fan in your ThinkPad. And also fan noise problem is not the big problem, and this will not harm your system I am sure about this.

Yeah, thanks friends for suggesting me to contact with the Lenovo support. I tried to contacting with them and here they really help me in this cause. Thanks a lot for that suggestion.