Thread: How to upload custom POI in TomTom Start 20

How to upload custom POI in TomTom Start 20

I have recently bought TomTom Start 20 and I have found that there is no way to upload a custom POI into the device but I just wanted to know is there any possibilities that we will be able to upload a custom POI into the device in the coming future and is there anyone who has found a backdoor in order to upload POI into the device. Is there any other device that provides us this functionality? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated

Re: How to upload custom POI in TomTom Start 20

As far as I know if you update your device through the tomtom then you will be able to upload POIs in to your device. I have found that every tomtom device has thousands of preinstalled POI’s and you can install more as well. The tomtom POI set has a file with extension .ov2 where as you can add .bmp images in to your POI set as well. In order to do so just follow the below steps:
    • Make sure that you are having the latest version of MyTomTom on your computer
    • Make sure that your device is having the latest TomTom application.
    • After that Connect your device to the computer and after it appears just click on the Add community content
    • You will get a open browser than just Click on Add POI.
    • And then Click on Browse and then you will get a list.
    • Then Select the POI (.ov2) file or icon file (.bmp) that you are willing to add but make sure that the name of the .ov2 and .bmp file are similar
    • You can also select more of them at the same time by holding down the Ctrl key
    • After the selection just Click on Open and then the webpage will show you the selected file and then just click on Install and then it will be added in to your device. Hope that helps

You can also add POI using the tomtom home. What all you have to do is to makes sure that you have the latest version of My TomTom on your computer and latest TomTom application on your device after that just connect your device to the computer and then in the main menu just click on the Add Traffic, Voices, Safety Cameras etc. and then click on the POI and then click on the add in order to install the POI’s which have been shared by the tomtom community. Just try it out and see if you are able to add POI’s or not.

You can also copy POI sets using the Using MyTomTom. In order to do so just follow the below steps:
    • Make sure that you have the latest version of the MyTomTom installed on your computer
    • Make sure that you have the latest TomTom application on your device
    • And then connect your computer and then when it appears just click on the Add community content.
    • After you get a browser just click on the Copy to computer which will be next to the POI
    • After that you will get a save to dialogue box and then you just have to browse the location you want to save and then its done.

In order to copy the POI set using the tomtom home you just have to connect your device to the computer and then launch the TomTom HOME after that just go in to the home and then in the menu and then click on Manage my device and then you will get a list of group. You can also select multiple items by expanding the group and then checking the box next to the item and then click on Items on device and then click on Copy items to computer and then the items will be copied in to your computer and you can also change the Folder Preferences by going in to the TomTom HOME Preferences in the tool menu. Hope that helps.

You can also share the POI set with other TomTom users using TomTom HOME.In order to do so just follow the below steps:
    • Connect your device to your computer and then launch the tomtom home
    • Go in to the HOME and then click on Add Traffic, Voices, Safety Cameras etc
    • Then click on Add <item> and then on “How do I create my own content and then on “Share my content.”
    • Click on share to share a item and can browse the file that you want to share
    • Later just enter the details of the item in the Share this <item> and then click on “Share now.”

If have tried following the above suggestion but then I am not able to find any option available in the tomtom in order to add community content. I have checked that I am having the latest version of the MyTomTom on your computer and the latest version of the tomtom application on the device as well. I have also checked that the connection is proper I don’t know what the problem is. I have not missed any steps as well but then I am still not getting the options.

I will like to inform you that you will find the ‘Add community content' button in 'Add community content' button after you connect the device to the computer.
    • Just follow the below steps:
    • Just Right click on “myTomTom” icon in the system tray
    • After that you will get a menu and in that menu you will get the 'Add community content' button.

Even I am not able to upload custom POI I mean I have found the option after your suggestion and I have also added poi groups to the computer but then I have found that I am not able to access the same POI’s on my mobile. I mean they don’t even appear in the list of POI groups .I have also tried to save the favorites from my previous tomtom but then I am facing the same problem. Is there anyone who has tried doing so and has an idea about the same. Any help for this will be appreciated.

I think that you might have disconnected the device from the computer in between if not then you can try to turn off the device and then turn it on and check if the poi files are listed. You can find it under the 'Poi categories. I will also like to inform you that you should not give the poi's a long name as far as it is possible and you should makes sure that you upload it n the 'Poi category' under the section of the 'Add community content'.

I think that you might be adding too many poi categories at the same time so I will suggest you to add them in small batches if possible rather than adding a no of them simultaneously so just make sure that you do so and then after this you should reboot your phone as well I mean if you won’t reboot the phone then there are possibilities you might not be able to upload custom POI properly. Just take this steps in the consideration and then check if you are able to upload the POI’s successfully or not.