Thread: Is Boxee Box Media Streamer constarined?

Is Boxee Box Media Streamer constarined?

I am having a good wireless network and I am sometimes able to play the 1080p Blu-ray files without any buffering as well. I have got a 3D Blu-ray ISO currently and I have found that in the 2D mode it is just working very well and I am not facing any king of buffering problem as well and on boxee CPU having 92% utilization is working well in 2d mode but when I am playing it on the 3D track then there is a lot of buffering even though I am keeping the Boxee's CPU 100% at that time. So I just wanted to know is the Boxee Box Media Steamer constrained. I mean the above issue is making me think like that but I am not sure. Any suggestion regarding this will be appreciated.

re: Is Boxee Box Media Streamer constarined?

I have experienced the same kind of issue but I think that this is some kind of bandwidth issue and no matter what is the issue we are just getting our CPU hammered for the same. I have found that the Blu-ray content is driving the CPU at about 75% - 90% as per the bitrate. I think that the DVDs are playing about 50% - 60% and if it is taking 90% of the CPU then it will require extra power for 3D and which on the other hand will degrade the performance as well but it is also depends on the quality of all the CPUs.

Yes it really depends on the quality of the CPUs as every batch of the cpu has a wire range in its quality. They are divided according to their best and worst performance than the "average" CPU.I has also found that the Boxee Boxes have result in an under-performing CPU in most of the cases .I think that we should call the boxee team to visit our place and then see the performance that we are getting but there are other internal components as well if you found any difference between the various Boxes but I am not really sure if this will really work as I have not yet tried it personally.I still remember the statements where they have stated that the Boxee Box CPU/GPU will handle the full BD without any kind of performance issues and I just wish if it really would have been so.

I think that I don’t have any problem in paying more for a system which gives a fluid performance. I just wish that they come up with such system soon and I will also like to bring in to the account that the current adopters are quite techy and they are having a need of overpowered devices as well. Just take the CPU issue for e.g. I mean if the processing power of the boxee will be raised than we will not face any such issues again. I think that the boxee team should really work on the box and increase the processing power of the boxee soon so that we don’t keep on experiencing the same problem again and again.

I was willing to perform a test and I had hooked up everything and I found that the BD streaming was really bad while I was using my laptop. Later I came to know that the PC Boxee is only supporting the SMB shares and for the higher performance I have to stream use the NFS. Now I think that I will have to wait for the new PC release which will have the NFS support as well. I have tried to check the CPU information on the PC version and I found that it was streaming the blu-ray through the SMB and it was just 17% where as it was 92% when I checked it on the boxee. I just hope that this kind of performance issues end soon.

As far as I know the Boxee Box Intel CE4100 chipset requires a power gpu and because of which the UI rendering performance is getting low.In order to avoid this XBMC team has implemented some dirty rendering which have unfortunately increased the load on the cpu. I have experienced that when there are lots thumbnails to load then the UI appear to be lagging and I think that the AMD Fusion G embedded series will be a better platform for the Boxee Box in the coming future as the CE4100 is found to have a better CPU and GPU. Even though the Boxee is in a comfortable position today the UI is just better and even fast as compared to the Boxee Box.

What I have done is I have copied the movie with the help of Movie Only feature of DVDFab with AC3 Audio only and then have used the MakeMKV in order to create the mkv and the need I found to do this is because of the buffering issue.After doing the above method as well I am facing the same buffering problem again. I just wanted to know that if the DVDFab introduce anything during the copy procedure and will it be different if I try to convert the MKV straight from MakeMKV. I mean is there anyone who have tried the same before and have an idea about the same. Any further help will be appreciated.I have heard that SMB have been resulting in performance issues but It’s a bit hard to believe as I have experienced that the DVDs plays flawlessly over the wireless network.

You can also try the haneWIN NFS Server for windows.This software implements multithreaded NFS Server for almost all the windows its implementation supports NFS 3, NFS 2 and WebNFS protocol,UDP and TCP connections,Unix soft-links,Unix hard-links on NTFS ,Inodes for block and character devices.