Thread: SMB appears to be "disconnected" even though it’s not

SMB appears to be "disconnected" even though it’s not

I have got a boxee box and the problem I am facing now is that mu computer is not able to detect the Boxee in its scan even though it is connected. I don’t know what had went wrong with it and I am not able to detect the cause for it. I have tried all the possible solutions that I could have but then it does not seem to be helping. Is there anyone who has faced the same problem before and has come up with a solution for it as well? Any helping suggestion for this will be appreciated.

Re: SMB appears to be "disconnected" even though it’s not

You can try out the following solution in order to check if it is making any changes:
    Set up the share permission.
    Uninstall the Windows live assistant and then reinstall it again.
    Enter the computer's hostname and then browse the resulting folders and then add them as sources.

I have came across this problem in many forums but I have found that some people have claimed that they are able to access their content on it using the shared folders and then selecting them by the Files/Local Media Folders and they have also claimed that the shares are fully accessible even though it is showing disconnected but then even they are not able to get it detected in the scan process. There are a no of threads in order to configure the SMB compatibility. Just check it out if you are having the same kind of issue where you are able to access the content even though it is showing disconnected.

Before I suggest you anything I will like you to just check when you go to the main menu and then going over the files and then going over the network are you finding your Pc showing up? And I also want to know that if you are having your boxee box and your pc connected to the same router? .What I have3 found is that we have to manually add the add IP addresses or the host because sometimes it is not able to find it automatically and this is the reason it shows as disconnected. Just check if you are having the same case. If you are facing the same then I will suggest you some other solution to solve it out.

I am having the same kind of problem and I am using a Fedora 13 server with multiple Samba shares .I have also found that all the drivers are showing up disconnected but I am able to access all the files and I am not facing any problem in it but then I am not able to scan it as it is showing disconnected. I have already tried to reboot the server and boxee both and I have also tried to open the Samba shares to public access and get the full privilege as well but I have not find any change in the Boxee Box.I will also like to share that my friend is having the Boxee on his PC having windows 7 as the operating system and he is able to access all the share and even able to scan it normally as well. I don’t know what is wrong with mines. Any further help will be appreciated.

Yes I agree to you when I have tried to scan the network for other computers the PC is not showing it up but then I am able to detect the Box to my smb folders. I have also tried to enter the hostname manually but still having all the smb folders after adding them manually they are no getting scanned. I have found that the filers are fully accessible through the Files section of the main menu. I have heard that the Fedora 13 is not browse able and we have to use the manual UI but I am not quite sure about it. Any suggestion to solve this will be appreciated.

Before I suggest you any further solution I will like to have an answer for the below questions:
    • Are you having the same router for your boxee and the PC ?
    • Have you set the network type to Home?
    • Are you able to access the full shares?
    • Is there any other PC you can verify the shares if it is set up correctly or not?

What all you can try is change all the pc on the network and even the /etc/samba/smb.conf (Samba Config) and then add a netbios name and make sure that the nmb services are running on the server and then try to ping the Samba Server using the netbios name resolution through any device and then make all the shares browseable=yes in the smb.conf file. After you make the above changes you will be able to see the shares in Network on Win 7 and now you can scan them using the BB. Hope that was helpful.