Thread: HP Pavilion dv6500: CD/DVD drive not recognized

HP Pavilion dv6500: CD/DVD drive not recognized

I am having the new HP Pavilion dv6500 notebook; I bought this one before few days. I can say here that I am very happy with this laptop. But now I am having so many of the problems related with this. The problem is when I start the laptop at that time I see that it has not recognized the DVD drives. And also this is not showing in the device manager. I have also tried with scanning the device with the IDE adapters. Can you help me in this cause?

Re: HP Pavilion dv6500: CD/DVD drive not recognized

Here in this cause I think that you should try with the automated fixit from Microsoft, they will really help you in this cause. I am suggesting you this thing because I was also having this type of the problem. For resolving this I have also tried with the so many suggestions. But none then worked on my cause. Someone suggest me to contact with the automated fixit from Microsoft and they really help me a lot. After this all things I get there that the problem is resolved. So I would also like to suggest you the same.

I am having the fix for your suggestion and you can also try with this suggestion if the above suggestions not working in your cause. The steps are as:-
    • From the Start Menu,
    • Open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.
    • Click to open the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
    • Right click on the first channel and select uninstall.
    • Do not delete drivers if asked.
    • When uninstalled repeat the process for each channel.
    • Also if an ATA controller is listed, right click and uninstall this.
    • Again, do not delete drivers if asked.
    • Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.
    • If your optical drive appears here, right click and select uninstall.
    • Do not delete drivers if asked.
    • Restart your PC and let Windows re-install these devices.
    • Give it a minute or two, and then see if the drive is working

I can say here that my computer is working so fine now. But, I dindnt get that my problem is get resolved now. For that I am having the external HP CD drive to install all the saoftware for that and I am suing the Driver Detective software to trying to detect the cd/DVD drive. I am still having the same problem. And still waiting that someone really help me in this cause.

I was also having the same problem and for resolving that I have also tried with the uninstalling the drivers and then reinstall them. But this also doesn’t work in my cause. I can see that on the DVD there is light coming it means that it is connected with the system but the problem is that when I open the drive at that time there are no any DVD drive located in the system also in the device manager. I think that there will be some change in the setting after the installation of the new window in the system for that reason I am getting this problem.

Ok, I will again suggest you to go back to the device manager and then try to uninstalling the drive again. And while doing this, if system asked you to delete the drivers then don’t say yes to that. And after the uninstalling the drive this will be disappear from the device manager and then restart you PC and see if this will start working in your cause.

I have downgraded from the Vista to the XP and then I start getting this problem. Before this downgrade this was working fine, but I think that this is related with the OS problem only. So what can I do to resolve the problem? I have also tried with all the other suggestion but there I found the same problem again.

I think that you will need to download the DisparitionCD.inf and hope that this will help in your cause. I am suggesting downloading this one because I have also resolved the same problem using this file. Try with this. Hope this will also worked in your cause.

Since you are getting this problem after the downgrade, so I think that this problem is related with the windows OS. For resolving this I will suggest you to check the BIOS setting for this. There will also happens that in the setting the DVD drive has disabled. If so then you will need to enable this setting, the steps are as:-
    • Restart the system
    • After this press the Del key to start the BIOS menu.
    • In the BIOS, you can see that there is setting for the devices and this will help you to enable the setting for that.

I have tried this thing also, but this also not worked in my cause. I am not decided to get the new DVD drives for that. And also thanks for suggesting me about the suggestion.

I don’t think that after following the above steps still you are getting the problem to not recognize the DVD drives. Because I was also having this problem and I get resolve this by using the above steps and it really helped a lot in my cause. I think that you are not using the steps properly, for that I will say to you that try with using the steps again and do the each and every steps very carefully and then report here back if still this not worked in your cause.

I've got the same exact issue as many of you. I have tried regedit, I have tried delete ATA/IDE devices and still the drive doesn't show it even exists as far as my PC is concerned. I've put CD's/DVD's in and it sounds like the drive is trying to run them but, then nothing happens. I've deleted all roxio, and apple itunes software and yet still there is nothing. PLEASE can someone help?! I don't think the drive is bad but, boy is this frustrating!