Thread: Is it possible to use GSM on unlocked 9850

Is it possible to use GSM on unlocked 9850

I have found that Blackberry 9850 was a CDMA version and Blackberry 9860 was the GSM Version. I have also came across some sites that has mentioned that 9850 unlocked phone was available which says that the 9850 Sprint phone has been unlocked and we can use it worldwide as well and now I am confused because as far as I know 9850 is a CDMA phone and sprint has confirmed that it is possible to work pm gsm with the 9850.So what’s basically true? Is there anyone who has a complete knowledge about it and can solve my doubt? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Re: Is it possible to use GSM on unlocked 9850

As far as o know I the Blackberry 9850 works on gsm by using Tmobile and it can work on both gsm and cdma as well but I have heard that you won’t be getting 3G with the gsm and you will have to use the 2G on the unlocked 9850 CDMA but I have also came across New BLACKBERRY 9800 torch gsm unlocked touch pda phone with features like gps, wifi , 3G ,QWERTY as well on ebay but I just hope that they don’t result in any kind of problem later. Even I want to get one but I am waiting for the response for it lets see what comes.

What I have heard is that the Blackberry 9850 is even though a cdma device but it can also work with gsm but with a limited use I mean you can only use it for talking and messaging and not the browsing and other apps function which we use with the cdma and you can use it at any place in the world until you are using it for talking and texting .I have found that the Blackberry 9860 can be used with the gsm anywhere but it also has a full gsm capability by which you can use the 2g,3g and 4g as well. If anyone is willing to use gsm then they can just check out with the gsm network provider in your place and they will give you a brief idea about this. Best of luck

If you are saying that the Blackberry 9850 is having some gsm capabilities and not the full capabilities then I just want a answer to my question that if it is really so than why RIM has come out with different models specially for the gsm carrier and even though they have come up with why they are coming up with different models only a single or a couple of them would have made the things simpler and easier .Even I am looking forward to use the gsm with my Blackberry 9850 but I don’t know which method will be the best. Any suggestion for this will be appreciated.

If you are concerned with the Blackberry 9860 then I will like to share that the Blackberry 9860 is basically for the cdma carrier but as per the demand they have implemented the gsm bands to allow their customer to roam internationally as well but then you will not be able to use 3g bands in the north American side and you will have to use the edge of the gsm and id you want to go for 3g then you will have to get a cdma network for that purpose And finally I will like to inform you that the Blackberry 9850 is the full-fledged Torch for all GSM carriers and it can be used anywhere in the world.

I have found that basically the gsm device will not work with the cdma but the cdma device can work with the gsm as well as most of the cdma carrier are in USA and in order to support the sim cards that are used outside the USA they have implemented the gsm support and this is the main reason that they are working for gsm by Blackberry unlocking method.I have also found that unlocked 9850 will work in Europe on GSM but then it will not support 3g but I have came across some blackberry forums where they say that both this support 3g but 9850 with cdma and the 9860 with gsm as well as cdma.

I have recently got a Sprint 9850 and I am having Sprint as my network provider as well and I was willing to unlock it because I have at&t as well and I use that in my unlocked Bold.In order to unlock my new Sprint 9850 I got the code for it and currently my phone is factory unlocked so I was not able to put the code and when I inserted the sim and tried to use it in the gsm mode in the settings ans what I have found is that it is working on at&t 2g voice and data as well.