Thread: Seagate GoFlex Desk 2 TB is not working properly in OS X Lion

Seagate GoFlex Desk 2 TB is not working properly in OS X Lion

Extremely disappointed bought the 2 TB drive yesterday, and it’s been hanging on my Macbook since then. I installed the Seagate "fix" the night prior to, who maintains the rotation of the unit , nevertheless woke up this morning, try to copy a file on disk and yes, hang up the Mac again. The only explanation is to pull the USB cable from the machine.

Is a firmware update fixing this? I do not know what to say really. I bought an album that announces "for PC and Mac" in good faith, and so far the evidence is not suitable for the purpose. If I have to pull the USB cable to stop the hanging Mac going to corrupt my data. What is the solution to all this crap?

Re: Seagate GoFlex Desk 2 TB is not working properly in OS X Lion

Installing the Mac application "to keep turning the unit" that touches a file every 60 seconds on the hard. In System Preferences -> saving energy, this de-checked the box units trying to sleep when not in use.

But nothing seems to help. The strange thing is the problem still happens when I am sitting here with the unit. I was listening to the songs with iTunes, and all the tunes are stored on disk, so the unit must be in active use, and the unit still does not work.

Drive information

Code:
    capacity:    2 TB (2,000,398,933,504 bytes)
    Removable Media:    Yes
    Detachable Drive:    Yes
    BSD Name:    disk1
    Product ID:    0x50a1
    Vendor ID:    0x0bc2  (Seagate LLC)
    Version:    1.00
    Serial Number:   (edited out)
    Speed:    Up to 480 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer:   Seagate
    Location ID:    0xfd140000/5

His view the only viable solution is to not use a USB connection, but instead of the USB-> Firewire converter.

That really bothers me. If Seagate knows about this, as mentioned in the damn box! Or sell two packages, one for PC, a Mac, and put the drive in the Mac package

Any support on this, or do not care Seagate drive sold him unfit for purpose?

I followed a suggestion in the other thread and delete all files on my computer that has the keyword "Seagate" and guess what, the unit has been running all day without any troubles.

He says, Seagate software does not work correctly. Not only that, it is totally unnecessary for the operation of the unit. Brightness LED lights and not to seek damn big.

So in short, now I have a working unit, but no thanks to all at Seagate. His "support" has been nonexistent, and only one of its other clients has fixed the problem. Lesson learned. Never buy any product from Seagate again. Peace and out. Do not bother to respond (fat chance), and will not be new to this forum.