Thread: Unable to update Sony Ericsson Xperia play

Unable to update Sony Ericsson Xperia play

Hi, I am using Sony Ericsson Xperia play and don’t know exactly which firmware version I have installed in the mobile, but still it seems that the current version is quite older, and that’s why when I was searching about the same I came to know that the newer version is available so when I was trying to update the mobile, I was not able to do that. Was not able to figure out what could be the problem with the phone.

Is there anybody here having problem with updating the firmware? Please let me know how I can get rid out of this.

Re: Unable to update Sony Ericsson Xperia play

I don’t know which firmware you have installed in the mobile, but I think the one that you have is the latest one, because that’s the only instance where you cannot proceed updating as the software is been already updated.

But at other if you are still getting problem with updating the firmware that means there is a some difficulty rather issue with the phone.

And it is quite hard to find whether what could be the problem, but I would suggest you that you should try to make a OTA update to your phone because through that only you don’t have to carry that much steps which is actually require in order to update the firmware. The only thing that you have to have is the internet connection to your phone and it will do everything on its own after you press the option called “firmware update“.

I think there could be some problem with the either phone or with the connector that you are using, ensure that the data cable that you are using with your mobile is working or not, because once the process get started the cord should not be removed rather it should not be loose otherwise it can simply disobey the rules.

And make sure that you are following perfect instruction while updating the firmware, there are quite important steps while pressing some buttons, so ensure whether you are doing it perfectly or not.

are you sure that the Sony Ericsson PC companion that you are using for updating the firmware is working perfectly, because that’s the only software on which the whole further process depends, and if there is some problem with that software only then you’ll not be able to carry out any further steps.

By the way do your mobile recognized by the software, because see this is the only way to figure out whether there is some problem or not.

Here you have to ensure first, and if suppose there is some problem with recognizing the mobile then surely problem is in the software only, and here you can have option to simply reinstall the software again in your PC and then try again, and while installing the software again make sure that you are installing it from another setup rather than the one you have, because it might be possible that the software you have used may be corrupted and you’ll keep getting error if you continue with the same software.

No actually I know about the exact procedure as well, as the extent to I know !

Though I am doing this for first time but quite aware about the updating process. And whatever you have suggested is like I have tried but still no luck.

Anyways thanks for the suggestion.

I would say you should check this as generally peoples do this and because of that different error occurs and we can’t update the firmware:

1) Press back button while phone is in off state. Not on state.

2) make sure that the USB is plugged in to parties, computer and phone

3) make sure you pressed the exact button

make sure that the cable that you are using for connecting the mobile to the PC is working or not, you can try with another cable.

Once I was having problem because of that only, problem was like the cable was OK but it was quite loose enough to connect to mobile.

I think I would say you should try to visit the service center and tell them about the problem you are getting while updating the firmware. Either they will simply tell you some solution or you can have option to make this firmware update from there only. And after all if your phone comes under warranty period then you’ll get all the service for free! And you won’t have to pay any amount to them.

According to me this is the only correct way to make firmware update, because see when we do this on our own, we keep making mistakes, but the persons over there are quite experts in this field and we are not the only one whose mobile is going to update through them, so the bottom line is like they are well know to the device, so they can do it without any hesitation.