Thread: Do android 3.2 OTA update available for Acer Iconia A501 tablet

Do android 3.2 OTA update available for Acer Iconia A501 tablet

Hi, I own a Acer Iconia A501 tablet and it has android 3.1 running on the device but still when I was searching about the same I came to know that the further newer version is available for the device, but we must have to wiped out the device and then install the newer firmware, but I was looking for the OTA, so is it possible to update the firmware this way? And I have heard that we should not follow instruction from any website, why so?

Aren’t they perfect?

If so then please let me know about the same. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Re: Do android 3.2 OTA update available for Acer Iconia A501 tablet

I am not sure whether OTA update is available or not, but still you can visit your tablet’s official website, as they must have been reveled information about the same.

Because see though the software is available but your network provider or your company manufacturer is not allowing you than you’ll not be able to update it however.

As you have mentioned that by refereeing the steps mentioned on some other website, so for that I would say the only problem with this method is like if suppose something happens wrong with the device then you not be able to restore anything or it may also leads to damage the device as well. Or it may put the device dead mode.

Yeah if those steps for updating the firmware is mentioned on the official website then you can refer it for sure, but till that I would also recommend you the same as if you are quite sure about the procedure then only pursue ahead or else either visit the service center or simply make it through OTA.

As the above user mentioned I have the same opinion as don’t know whether the software is available through OTA or not, but at the other end you can have option to know about the same as the update is available though the device only so the information regarding that would also be obtainable through device only.

From the setting only, there would be an option for “firmware update” so you have to tap that option and see at that time you’ll get the screen showing the current firmware which is installed and the newer firmware which is available. So if there isn’t any such version available then you’ll not be able to download the newer one. But if suppose the newer firmware is available then you have to just proceed the steps mentioned on the screen.

I hope you must be aware but still let me tell you as you must have to have active internet connection on your device prior to update the firmware through OTA.

Though you update the firmware through OTA no such major changes you’ll noticed in the newer firmware as I have done it, so at this moment better option is to update the whole firmware again in your tablet because then only you’ll be able to see the noticeable to difference in the firmware you’ll use.

as far as your data is concern I would rather suggest you to first take backup of important data and then only proceed prior to update the firmware. So that you can simply recover the data whenever needed.

is it worth updating the firmware through OTA, because this is not the only forum where I get the same answers, all are recommending to update the firmware by installing it wholly.

Anyways thanks for the suggestion.

- I think better option would be to visit the service center and let them update the firmware of our device rather than practicing either OTA update or installing a new firmware on the device. And if they would do this for you, then you’ll not have any problems as well in the device because of the firmware.

Because I have seen that many people had problem after updating the firmware on their own, don’t know what they do distinctly but that’s far good for sure.