Thread: Getting HD Noise in Macbook Pro

Getting HD Noise in Macbook Pro

My mid-2010 Macbook Pro started making a noise that bothered me yesterday. It sounds almost like a soft "play cards in the spokes of the bicycle" sound guy.Today I cannot hear unless you press your ear to the back and then you be able to still perceive sound. Is it standard noise and should be anxious about HD?

Re: Getting HD Noise in Macbook Pro

Can anyone tell me if you can hear the HD at all? I've never heard before mine, but then I never put my ear to the back of the laptop well. I'm assuming you do not shut up, but do not know if you should be able to listen while you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryszard View Post
    Can anyone tell me if you can hear the HD at all? I've never heard before mine, but then I never put my ear to the back of the laptop well. I'm assuming you do not shut up, but do not know if you should be able to listen while you are using.
    It depends on the hard drive. Some units are quieter than others. Hardly hear any noise from my iMac 2011, but 2008 definitely makes my Macbook a buzz.What you hear could also be the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Erie View Post
    It depends on the hard drive. Some units are quieter than others. Hardly hear any noise from my iMac 2011, but 2008 definitely makes my Macbook a buzz.What you hear could also be the fan.
    Do not worry, this is very common. It becomes more evident with the hard drive and SSD is also true. Is a mechanism that protects the drive head, I experience the same noise that sometimes the left of the track pad where the hard drive. This can be caused by the boost of overheating, unforeseen high-power read / write, etc, etc. If this is not compromise presentation, then soon turn out to be immune to sound but if it is slow down processes and idling for a while after an Apple store to present the problem and more than likely have to replace the hard drive. My advice, as a precautionary measure would be to back everything up now and noise control for a week or so.

I've back the whole thing up to an external drive using Time Machine to be on the secure side. I have the Hitachi 500GB drive nevertheless am going away to upgrade to an OWC SSD as almost immediately as I can get one here. The sound occurs while the machine was inactive so there wasn't any read/write load at the instance. It happens then goes away then come rear approximately like a cat taking a mouthful of air then purring again.

Not anything seems to have slowed down for the reason that of it and its the majority likely not anything to be anxious about. on the other hand I will be doing the SSD upgrade to defend my link with humanity. The kit from OWC will have an enclosure for the HDD so I will carry on to use it to observe how long it lasts and also to cut off the noise if likely. It doesn't seem to be a fan but I won't rule anything out.