Thread: Got blue screen when installing OS on iBook G4

Got blue screen when installing OS on iBook G4

So I picked up this old G4 iBook for approximately nothing. Acquire a new stick of 512 MB of RAM and a 20GB hard drive to see if I could get going. My friend gave me his old Leopard installation DVD, so I pulled and formatted the drive specifications apples. Then began the installation. The machine began to verify the integrity of the disc, I was having a good time. I went to see him and was frozen in 21% (the mouse does not move), so I turned the machine.

Following some information on the Internet that starts in single user mode (CMD-S) and ran "fsck-f '. After restart my computer now displays the Apple logo, spinning the wheel and then goes to a screen blue where it hangs. I have read here that can be a trouble with overheating the chip. I locate it hard to consider that in my case for the reason that I can depart the machine running in single user terminal, without frost.

Re: Got blue screen when installing OS on iBook G4

What type of DVD you are using for Leopard? In short to install Leopard on that iBook, the DVD has to be the business version. The retail version of Leopard is black, not silver gray. If you have the silver color it will not function.

Anyway, it may be best to install Tiger on that machine, since it works better and requires fewer resources. But again, you have the commercial version.

Quote Originally Posted by BansiJ View Post
    What type of DVD you are using for Leopard? In short to install Leopard on that iBook, the DVD has to be the business version. The retail version of Leopard is black, not silver gray. If you have the silver color it will not function.

Anyway, it may be best to install Tiger on that machine, since it works better and requires fewer resources. But again, you have the commercial version.
    Yes it is a smaller disk (as in, do not come packaged with a Mac).

If it's a retail disk it should work. Make certain that hard drive is proper and it sounds like it may have some troubles. If you got another drive you can check with that.

Another appealing thing about the iBook with ITS PRAM battery. It does not have one. The system clock and startup juice is provided by the storage space capacitor of a accuse. And that will not work true if the iBook battery is Not Charged or defective or not in place.

I only bought the HDD a pair of days ago and running the fsck command returned no bug, so I'm assuming the hard drive is proper. I do have an additional although switching is a lot of endeavor so I'd like to view it as a last option.

I have tried resetting the PRAM however I suppose that was pointless if the iBook doesn't have PRAM The laptop has been sat for a extended era of time, so possibly that could be an matter - even though I did charge the laptop fairly a bit and last night it manage to boot into the install DVD and re-format the drive using Disk Utility, so I don't quite know why it won't boot anymore

The optical drive could be failing. Certain PPC machines will boot from an external USB 2.0 drive but most won't. Firewire is usually required. You could certainly give it a try. Let us know if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Odalis View Post
    The optical drive could be failing. Certain PPC machines will boot from an external USB 2.0 drive but most won't. Firewire is usually required. You could certainly give it a try. Let us know if it works.
    My iMac is running Lion but I intend to copy the contents of the Leopard install DVD to the USB stick using 'Super Duper!' and then boot from that using my iBook. When citizens pass on to USB 2.0, do they denote the port on the iBook, or the media which is being linked?

It could be the RAM you installed. All iBooks have one stick of RAM soldered to the Logic board. Take away the stick you put in and perceive if you still acquire that blue screen with the installer. If not, you originate your matter. Do you know any specs on the iBook? Is it white? 12"?

And to install Leopard it is vital to have an 867MHz processor or previous.

Quote Originally Posted by Olenka View Post
    It could be the RAM you installed. All iBooks have one stick of RAM soldered to the Logic board. Take away the stick you put in and perceive if you still acquire that blue screen with the installer. If not, you originate your matter. Do you know any specs on the iBook? Is it white? 12"?
    Overwhelming, I'll attempt that tomorrow. It would make intelligence in view of the fact that the mistake occurs after RAM was changed. It's a 14" White G4 model with around 900mhz processor.