Thread: Trackpad button and the left mouse button of my MacBook is not working

Trackpad button and the left mouse button of my MacBook is not working

I am using a MacBook with Mac OS X 10.4.11. And I am facing a serious issue with its Trackpad. From the last week onwards it is not working completely. Therefore, I tried using a mouse with it. I was able to do right click with it, but not the left click, as the left click was not working at all. Though, I can use the scroll button also to click some things, but not anything in the window. So, now both, Trackpad and the mouse are not working with my MacBook, therefore I think there is some problem with my MacBook Pro. But I am not able to figure out what the problem is and how can I fix it. If anyone of you has any idea about this, then please reply.

Re: Trackpad button and the left mouse button of my MacBook is not working

I think you should try rebooting your MacBook, and after that see if you get your Trackpad and your mouse working again. I think it should work. And even after rebooting, if your Trackpad is still not working then at least the mouse should start working again. If both of them are not working then I will have to see for other solutions. I hope it works.

I tried rebooting my MacBook, but neither Trackpad nor the mouse is working now also. I even tried to reboot seven times, but now I think it will not fix this issue, as they are still not working. If you have any other solution then please tell me about that solution, I will try with that also. I really want them to work again

Have you tried connecting other mouse with your MacBook. I think your mouse can also be defective and therefore its left button is not working. If other mouse is also not working with your MacBook then you can say that the problem is with your MacBook.

As you suggested, I removed this mouse and attached another mouse also but it is also behaving same as the previous one was behaving. I am able to use right button but not left button.

I think I have a solution for you. I think you should try with removing mouse preferences file. As your Trackpad is not working I think it will be little bit difficult for you, but if you are able to go in Home\Library\Preferences then I think you can find a file which will have name like something ‘com.apple.mouse.plist’, to look for this file you can also use the arrow keys of your keyboard. Once you have highlighted that file then you can delete it by pressing command + delete key. Then after restarting your MacBook all the mouse preferences will get removed.

As you said I tried going to Home\Library\Preferences, but I am not able to see any of such file having name as ‘com.apple.mouse.plist’.

How old is your MacBook is? Apple MacBook comes with one year warranty. So, if your MackBook is under warranty period, then you can visit your nearby apple care center. They will be able to fix it and they will not charge you anything for that.

No, my MacBook is not under the warranty period, because it has been more than three years when I bought this. If there is any solution by which I can fix this problem with myself then please tell me that. And it is really very urgent so if any of you can give me a solution for that then please suggest me that as soon as you can.

Does your MacBook have AppleCare protection plan. Once I also had the same problem with my MacBook, the right side of its mouse was not working. I took my MacBook to them and they replaced the whole keyboard mouse set. If your MacBook have AppleCare protection plan, then I will suggest you to use that to fix your problem. I hope it helps you.

Unfortunately, my MacBook does not have AppleCare protection plan. I asked for a suggestion by which I can fix this issue with myself only. If you have any of such suggestion then please reply with that solution. Does anyone else had the same problem with their MacBook before.

I also had the same problem once with my MacBook pro, but I got a workaround for it and I will share that here with you. When I was getting this problem then I rebooted my MacBook and then when it then I clicked on “'Ignore Trackpad when mouse is attached”, because there was no use of using Trackpad as it was not working. And after that when I checked then I noticed that my Mouse was now working perfectly. So, it means that you will not be able to use mouse when Trackpad is also enabled. Therefore I will suggest you to first reboot your MacBook and then when it will start then click on “'Ignore Trackpad when mouse is attached” and then you will be able to use your Mouse again. I think this solution should work for you also, as it worked in my case.

Thanks for providing me that solution. This solution worked for me. I tried with rebooting my MacBook and then clicking on “'Ignore Trackpad when mouse is attached”. After this, now I am able to use my Mouse, perfectly.