Thread: Getting blank white screen in iBook

Getting blank white screen in iBook

I opened my iBook G4 again today, hoping to solve the problem of load. Clean the base plate with alcohol and a toothbrush and dried with a hairdryer. Still booted and worked fine before putting it back together, but when you next turn on the screen were completely blank white. I think it actually starts the operating system, because at some point that I can adjust the brightness with the function keys, and if you can close by pressing the power then return.

Re: Getting blank white screen in iBook

I hope not in the cleaning and the use of hair dryer that causes video problem to display what happens to some iBooks. It was frequently the most g3, but I read about a number of of G4 is doing it. Something with the video RAM and welds. Attempt to be applicable pressure at the bottom of the iBook and see if the video reappears.

Quote Originally Posted by switchblade327 View Post
    I hope not in the cleaning and the use of hair dryer that causes video problem to display what happens to some iBooks. It was frequently the most g3, but I read about a number of of G4 is doing it. Something with the video RAM and welds. Attempt to be applicable pressure at the bottom of the iBook and see if the video reappears.
    I bet that is exactly what is happening. I cannot think of any other reason it would stop the video output. My electronics guru tells me that this issue potentially applies to any Apple laptop that uses ball grid array. I tried pressing on the bottom and turn it on, but no luck yet (probably not find the right place). Do you know where the GPU is? Maybe I should apply some pressure while the hair dryer is over it.

The open trace could be anywhere in the video path. The problem with trying to discover that if you are under the surface (between layers) no amount of caricature or push-up is to place Humpty Dumpty jointly again. I had the same thing happens on a main board Sony for some time. He ended up having to replace the entire plate.

Got my hands on a mini-VGA adapter. Its use at this time with an external monitor. My electronics guru suggests that it might be the LCD inverter.

After a few minutes, everything was rosy. Using a different monitor now and still pink.

Whew! lastly taking the time to fix this bloody after 1.5 years! I in fact regretted the GPU, as does the output to a monitor via mini-VGA (editing pink wire, just bend the right way). I thought for certain it was the display cable and the backlight comes on but no picture, unfortunately, the replacement did not help. Maybe I bought on eBay was equally repulsive?

Quote Originally Posted by Olenka View Post
    Whew! lastly taking the time to fix this bloody after 1.5 years! I in fact regretted the GPU, as does the output to a monitor via mini-VGA (editing pink wire, just bend the right way). I thought for certain it was the display cable and the backlight comes on but no picture, unfortunately, the replacement did not help. Maybe I bought on eBay was equally repulsive?
    Hey, I actually had the luck and logic board replaced in my iBook years ago, and then when the video came next, followed this tutorial on fixing it. It leaves time to time, and only reopened and ready to do it again and it works again. Actually with my iBook G3 died today from my Macbook.

All I did different is instead of using a flame / candle; I took a Canadian dollar coin, is heated to sustain the flame of the stove, then place on top of the video chip and pushed down on it. I did 2 or 5 times.DIY obsolete iBook logic board repair.

Totally feels. I'm not sure yet care to sell. What happens to me not worth the time / effort. It is also the first Mac I bought, so I'm a bit nostalgic with it. also the best preserved (appearance wise), so I’m kind of hoping that someday someone will find a way to gut the new models and the stick inside older Macs, which seems to be constructed from more durable shells