Thread: Nokia N8 - how to turn off wifi?

Nokia N8 - how to turn off wifi?

I am using N8 and i have somehow connected to my home network through WiFi and the problem i am facing is that i am not able to find a way to turn off my WiFi though i am turning it off through the setting it is still draining my battery out.Is there any one who have an idea about this.Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.

re: Nokia N8 - how to turn off wifi?

It sounds weird that you were very well able to switch on the WiFi and connect it to your home network as well but you are not able to switch it of now,anyways it is a very simple method just go in to the Menu and then go in to the settings and then in connectivity and finally in wlan and now just highlight your connection and then just select disconnect wlan from the pop-up menu.Hope it was quite simple

Though after disconnecting your WiFi there might be chances that your phone will be still scanning for all the available networks which will keep draining your battery as much as when your WiFi module is still on,so what all you can do is just go to Menu>Settings> Connectivity > WI-Fi and now if you are able to view the list of available networks or if you get a message saying that no network found then this is the case where your scanner is still active.Now what you have to do is just go to options>Settings and later just set the "Show Wi-Fi availability" to "never" and this will finally deactivate the WiFi scanning.Hope that helps.

I was facing the same problem and i was aware if this method and i have tried disconnecting it by both the method but i don't think that it had worked for me because i still find that my battery is draining out and because of which i have to charge my phone twice a day and by now i have tried various other ways as well and i am not willing to use the WiFi in my phone as well but then it would be very appreciating if anyone suggest me a perfect solution for this.Thanks in advance.

I think i have a solution for it but i am still not sure if this is a perfect solution but it had really worked for me.What all you have to do is got to the menu and then in to the settings and then again in settings and then finally in network target and then just " WAP " to first priority and then Disconnect WLAN and then the WLAN will not automatically try to connect to the available network.Just check this one and out and later check if you still find your battery draining out if you don't then your problem is surely solved

As far as i have searched about this problem i have found that this problem is due to the email widget so you can just try to reduce the frequency of the email updates or what you can do is just turn it off completely.Though the WiFi remains disconnected make sure you set the widget to off line mode until the email widget update itself automatically based on the frequency limit you have set for it.Just follow this method and then you wont face such problem anymore.

If WiFi is connecting itself automatically to the available network even after switching it off then there might be possibilities that there are some application which is running in the background and constantly keep trying in order to connect to the network and may be the email client is the main reason for this problem and the other reason might be that some widgets are probably establishing the connection because they are not offline and you can need to set them to the offline mode by just selecting the Options>Widgets and then just select the offline mode.You can also try to find out that which application is using the internet connection by going in to the Menu> Settings> Connectivity>Connection manager and then tapping on the active connection and here The "Shared" field will give you a list of all the applications that are using the connection.Hope that helps.

I have tried to follow your solution an have set the widgets to the offline mode as well but when i was trying to check the applications that must be using the internet then i was not able to find the shared field in the connection manager so now i have i have just recreated the WiFi connection in order to follow your suggestion but luckily i am now noticing that the applications are connecting to the network only after requesting for connection and as soon as it is finished than its get disconnected tough it was not happening this way before.I dot know whether this might be another solution for this problem bit my problem has been solved by this method.You all can try this as well and check it out if its working for you all as well.

I thing i have a perfect solution for this just check out the following solution.Just got to Settings->Connectivity->Settings->Destinations and then Move your default WAP/GPRS web settings to internet if its something else and the under the 'Internet' just press and hold your WAP/GPRS settings and then click on "change Priority" and then select the setting that is at the top of the list and ow they will swap places.Now just come back to the Settings Screen and check whether you are getting the" Switch to WLAN" option at the top and now just Set 'Switch to WLAN' to manual and Set "Data use in home network" to "Always Ask" and then Set 'Data use when roaming' to "Always Ask" and then come back to the "Connection Manager" and then disable the WiFi connection and you are done.

I have a other easy way though it sound similar to some other solution but it is a bit different and simpler as well.This may not be a standard method but it had really worked for me.Just go you your start screen and then select the option and then just set the widget to offline mode and now the WiFi will switch off but here you can go back to the start screen and again set the widget ti online mode and now the WiFi will still remain off as long as you open an application that needs a internet connection.Hope that helps.

Here is another simple solution to follow.When your WiFi is connected yo have to go in to the settings> Connectivity > Settings > Destinations > Add New Access Point and now here you just have to setup the same wlan connection and put it in the category of connected wLAN and now it will be called as <Your WLAN>(01) after this go back to the connection manager and then disconnect the wlan and then again go back to the destination and then delete the offending access point and after this you wlan won connect to the network unless it is asked for.