Thread: After installing Symbian Anna my Nokia N8 screen has became black and white

After installing Symbian Anna my Nokia N8 screen has became black and white

I am using Nokia N8 and I have just installed Symbian Anna on it via Nokia Software Updater. I successfully installed Anna without any problem, but now I have just a black and white screen and I am not able to see any other color. Only when I change the theme, then also only the color of borders get change and rest of the screen remains black and white. I tried reinstalling the Ovi Store but now also the theme is same as it was. All the new icons set and even all the apps are in color. I don’t think it is normal. One more thing I want to add that, there is no background image to theme. I have already tried with updating supplementary Anna updates then rebooting my Nokia N8, but that didn’t worked for me. So, if you have any other solution, that I can try, then please suggest me.

re: After installing Symbian Anna my Nokia N8 screen has became black and white

I also have installed Symbian Anna in my Nokia N8 and I also have noticed that all the icons under the menus have no colors and are in black and white. Before I updated to Anna, they were in colors. I also think that is not normal. I tried rebooting my phone many times but now also it is black and white. Please, suggest any fix for this issue. I feel bit annoying because they are not in colors. And also why there is no background image? It looks like it is not finished properly.

It looks like it is normal in Symbian Anna as all the phone are having the same black and white icons. I think they have made this to save more power in your phone. But I also think that the old interface was better in terms of icons and colors.

Yes, that is normal. It is the Anna and it will look like that only. And I don’t think it is a thing that you should think that it is annoying or anything, it looks bit professional, plain black and white. Actually, they have done this to preserve your battery for longer time. Black color consumes very less power to get produced by AMOLED. Don’t, take it as negatively. Now you can enjoy more standby battery life in your Nokia N8.

Actually AMOLED display consumes more power as compared to a TFT display. But, if the pixels will be totally black then I think very less power will be consumed. As Nokia phones are using AMOLED display therefore, they want to overcome this weakness by compensating with the display and themes with deep black color. It makes your phone’s battery to last longer even with the AMOLED display. And I have to say that this really good on my black Nokia N8. But, you all may be thinking that what is the point of having a color display if your screen doesn’t has any colors.

I am not able to get the logic about what you are saying that they have made this to save the power. Because, we have many colored icons everywhere and just submenus are in black and white. And also you can see bright white colors at many places, like application manager, file manager. And it becomes very irritating to see work with this color. And with white color there are some color icons also. Hence if they are saving energy by giving us black color in background then why white and other colors are there. I have applied the old Nokia theme, but I still have those white icons all over in my phone.

Yes, everyone knows that white colors consumes more power than any other color, so what is the sense of using white colored icons instead of those previous colored icons. Hence, I don’t think they have selected this entire color pattern in order to preserve the battery power.

I am not saying that the white color is making your phone to consume less power. But, the combination of white color with black color surrounding it makes your phone to consume less power. You may have noticed that major part of the screen is black only. And using white color over it makes you it easily viewable. However, I am currently using a free theme called ‘Symbian-Next Lite’ in my Nokia N8 with this Symbian Anna and now it looks much better. I will suggest you also to try this. it really looks good.