Thread: Pinch zoom is not working in Nokia N8, after update to Anna

Pinch zoom is not working in Nokia N8, after update to Anna

I recently updated my Nokia N8 to Symbian Anna and after that I am noticing that I am not able to pinch zoom except some of the sites. For example, in yahoo.com, I am not able to increase the font size or even zoom in. I am not able to see any automatic resizing on any of the zoomable sites. It is happening after I updated it to Symbian Anna. It was not like this before. I want to know that is it eternal in Symbian Anna or there is any workaround to fix this issue? Please, reply if you have any idea about this.

Re: Pinch zoom is not working in Nokia N8, after update to Anna

After reading your post I visited yahoo.com, and then I noticed that it redirects you to mobile site by default, which is not zoomable. If you want a zoomable yahoo.com, then you have to open desktop version of this site. You can find an option for that at the bottom of the page. Though, I will agree about that it lacks with the text reflow and auto resizing. But, to make yahoo.com zoomable you have to do what I said you. I hope this helps at some extent.

Yes, you might have redirected to a mobile version of yahoo.com and pinch zoom doesn’t work on any mobile site. In mobile version of the sites, the page layout is optimized for viewing in smaller screens, and there is no requirement of zoom. To get pinch zoom working, visit non mobile sites. Like in gmail.com, you can click switch to basic HTML. Then you will see the full desktop version of the site. Same for other sites also.

But before I updated to Symbian Anna, Pinch zoom was working on my Nokia N8 when I was opening yahoo mail on my mobile. So, I think it should work directly even now also.

Yes, I agree with you. The browser prior to Symbian Anna was able to pinch zoom on every page, whether it is a mobile page or for desktop. I hope Nokia notices this and fixes this as soon as possible. As till now I have noticed that Nokia makes attempts to solve the problem just after he gets notice it, therefore I can guess that Symbian 5 will not have any of these issues which are in current operating systems.

Actually pinch zoom will not work on a mobile optimized site only if the web admin has added this metadata tag on the webpage, and that metadata is “user-scalable=no”. This tag just immobilizes the zooming through the user. This tag is supported starting from the Symbian Anna browser version. The user is prohibited to resize the page in the circumstances. It looks like that this tag is at present rest on fairly a lot of mobile optimized web pages. Not certain if that's mistakenly or if the website developer has actually for several grounds required to disable the zooming. However, it is actually a website issue and not a browsers issue. Because, a browser does only what developer instructs it to do.