Thread: Toshiba Portege R700: help in installation of Ubuntu 10.10

Toshiba Portege R700: help in installation of Ubuntu 10.10

Hello friends, I don’t want to use the windows operating system for using in my system. For that reason only I have installed the Ubuntu 10.10 on my new Toshiba R700-131 Core i5. But I am having some problem while using the Ubuntu 10.10, the problem is that sometimes my laptop is freeze with high fan and after that I must be rebooted. Here I would like to know that is Toshiba R700 is compatible with Linux operating system? Any ideas about it?

Re: Toshiba Portege R700: help in installation of Ubuntu 10.10

Hey friends, let me tell that Toshiba doesn’t support Linux OS for this notebook model, so I think for all this reason you are on your own. In this case I will recommend you to visit some Linux forum and try to pick up some useful information from there. And for that reason you will need to find the some people who is using the Linux operating system in Toshiba. I am telling you this thing because it will help you in your case because it might happen that he was also having same problem.

Hey I am also having the same Toshiba machine, and in this I am using Linux. But I am not having any problem about it. So in this case I will suggest you to use the 10.04.1 version. I am suggesting you this because the operating system works very good in this machine. But for your more information let me tell you that under Windows and Linux, this laptop heat a bit. So if while using this thing in your system if machine get heated then don’t worry about it. Because it is normal behavior of this machine. And if after heating your machine shut down automatically then there must be some problem in your machine. For that I will suggest you to contact with the Toshiba forums or Toshiba support.

I think that the cooling modules are not completely able to provide the cooling to the system. I am telling this thing because I have seen some of the issue with the Linux and also with this series of notebook with having the latest Kernel version. In this case I can only propose using the downgraded version until more support is either available from Toshiba or the Linux Kernel.

hey I also got the same problem with my machine, and yet I am searching for the solution. I am using Toshiba satelite r630 14j with core i5. Please suggest me in my case also what can I do to get out of this problem.

Dude in this case, I think that if you are facing this freezing problem and still you are not able to resolve that problem then I think that there must be some problem I your laptop. This is because of you have tried with the so many things and also none of them worked for you. For the more support I will suggest you to contact with the Toshiba service center, I am sure that they will provide you the better support and you will able to resolve your problem. Try with this and tell us back about the result. Hope that now it will work for you. Good luck friend.