Thread: Toshiba TECRA R840-10T: need GNU/Linux driver.

Toshiba TECRA R840-10T: need GNU/Linux driver.

Hi all, I am thinking for purchasing the new laptop, because I can’t find the driver for the GNU/Linux on the Toshiba. For downloading the drivers I had searched on the Toshiba website and there I found that there are drivers only for the windows not for the Linux use. So if you know any other site from where I can get the drivers for my use then please tell me. And also I would like to know about what is different between the HDMI and DusplayPort. In the every search I found the drivers only for the windows, but I am trying to get the proper driver for the Linux use. What to do in this case? Please suggest me in this case. I am using Toshiba TECRA R840-10T try to run on the Linux.

Re: Toshiba TECRA R840-10T: need GNU/Linux driver.

I think that the main problem is that Toshiba only supports the windows operating system. But it doesn’t mean that you must use the windows Operating system in your machine. If you like to install the Linux and able to configure it correctly then you can also use this operating system in your laptop. For that I will suggest you to take up some important information from the Linux forums and try with that, it might help you a lot.

I hope that in this case, Bluetooth and WiFi will be more use full and easy to support with the FOSS driver. But in this case let me tell you that both Bluetooth and WiFi uses the same frequencies, if this thing happens to you then at that time don’t worry about it. If you fear with that message then you can easily enable any of them by using the F8 function key. In this case I don't really care about the Optical drive like the speakers and card slots, but I am not able to use the 2.6 or 5.2GB DVD-RAM. Can you please tell me the reason for that? Any suggestion ion this case?

I am also asking for this thing in the Linux forums and I get over there also that I can use my Toshiba laptop with the Linux operating system. But here I want to know about the hardware specification only. And also I like to know that are Atheros? Broadcom? Intel? Specific. And also any major differences between Tecras and Protegés I should know about?

I know that WLAN card is Intel 802.11 and this also supports the BT as well. But I am not getting here that why you are not using the hardware diagnostic tool for the Linux? Try to use that tool, and I am sure that it will help you in the specification of the hardware. I am telling you this thing because this is the easiest way to get the specification of the hardware part. I am also using the Linux in my Toshiba laptop and to get the hardware specification I uses the hardware diagnostic tool for the Linux. And I am not having any problem with that, that’s why I am suggesting you this thing because I was also suffering from this type of the problem and I get out with the help of this tool.

I am asking you this all question because, yet I have not bought the laptop. I am just planning to get the Toshiba laptop and for that reason I was asking you that can I use the Linux in the Toshiba laptop. And also in my option Drivers and hardware support are a main fear which weighs heavy. And also I want to say that if I found any other laptop which can give the support for the all Linux driver than at that time I will go for buying that laptop.

Thanks you very much friends. But I am thinking for the more details on regarding to the other components. And according to your suggestion I found that ATI has Radeon HD 6450M. so thanks you for giving me such important information.

Hey, if you are searching the Linux driver by using the part number then I think that it will be totally useless for you. Because they don’t list for all the model type.

Hi all, I think that the LAN and WLan chip is from the Intel. And according to my information I think that LAN chip is Intel 82579LM. I don’t know anything about what Intel WLan chip will this support but it’s a Intel with 802.11agn support. And for your information let me tell you that Intel provides also drivers for Linux and as I know most Linux distributions include the drivers for such chip. So I think that there is no problem for that.

Hey thanks you for the WLAN suggestion. For that I will try to check out the LAN chip. But here also I like to know that how can I search for the Linux driver without having the knowledge about the which chips this laptop has? I am very happy over here after knowing that Intel provides the drivers for the Linux also. And also I am happy after knowing that AMD/ATI seems to do the same. If now if I am able to get the proper information about the technical information on the Toshiba forums then I am sure that I will go to buy the new Toshiba laptop. And thank you very much for your suggestion for my problem. Btu here can you please suggest me one thing more? The question is what about the in-house components by Toshiba? Please suggest me this thing also, I am not getting anything about it and want to know about it from you.

Yes, I know that Toshiba Doesn't Support Linux, but here I would like to know that which chipset this laptop uses. And also I would like to know that form where can I found the drivers for the Linux. For that reason can I ask to the Toshiba forums? And I would also like to know if you all guys having any idea about the laptop then please suggest me that also. I can also go for the other laptop which will support the Linux for my use.

Ok, now I bought the new laptop and I found that it is having windows 7 installed. I am thinking to install the Linux for my use but I am waiting for your response. Please suggest me that can I need to remove the windows 7 and install the Linux for my use.

Hey if you bought the new Toshiba laptop which is having windows 7 as operating system, then I will suggest you to not think about changing the operating system. This is because all things are working fine and one more thing I would like to suggest you that Toshiba doesn’t supports the Linux operating system. If you want to install the Linux in your system then you can do this, but after installation it might happens that you are getting some error like unable to configure the drivers. I am telling you to not install because it might happen that your all driver will not work properly in the Linux operating system and after installation you get this type of the error then there are no way to resolve this error, because Toshiba doesn’t provide the drivers for the Linux operating system.