Thread: Toshiba NB550D: while using Linux Ubuntu 10.04, not able to set the resolution to 1024 x 600.

Toshiba NB550D: while using Linux Ubuntu 10.04, not able to set the resolution to 1024 x 600.

Hello friends, I recently bought the new Toshiba NB550D and also I like it very much. On this laptop I am using Linux Ubuntu 10.04 from the USB and I want to install it on the separate partition later on. But while using this I am having some problem. The problem is that Ubuntu doesn’t recognize the screen and allow only resolution 800 x 600. But I want to set the resolution to the 1024 x 600. What can I do to change the resolution? For that reason I was searching on the net but up till now I didn’t get any idea to manage with this. I would like to know that have any one already solve this problem? If yes then please suggest me over here.

Re: Toshiba NB550D: while using Linux Ubuntu 10.04, not able to set the resolution to 1024 x 600.

Have you tried to find right answer on some Ubuntu forum? I mean, you should post the same story there and I’m pretty sure you will have better chances to get right answer.

In this case, first tell me that, have you try for finding the suggestion on the Ubuntu forum? I mean to say that, if you have posted this same question over there also then the chances to get the proper suggestion is more over there. So if you have posted this same question over there also then report us back over here. If not then we can help you in the further case.

Re: Toshiba NB550D: while using Linux Ubuntu 10.04, not able to set the resolution to 1024 x 600.

Hey dude, I let me tell you that Toshiba doesn’t support Linux. And also do you know some name of the website which can give you the proper information for supporting the Linux to your computer. And let, me tell that most of the Toshiba users are using windows version only.

Well, but I don’t think so. Because I am using Linux from the last 4-5 years and I don’t want to look back. And regarding to my problem I assumes one thing that is, the chipset / graphics adapter in the unit is not recognized properly. For clearing that problem I will suggest you to try with the downloading the alpha of Ubuntu 11.04 and install it and watch that it might help you in your case. I am suggesting you this thing because of the kernel is updated to the absolute latest existing and also the driver for your components are probably in there. So try with this thing, and also I will suggest you to not listen to the windows user so much. Try with the suggestion and tell me back that what happens after using this suggestion. I hope that I will help also on your case.

Thanks, but it doesn’t work in my case. For that reason I was searching on the internet whole day and still now I am not able to get any proper suggestion for me. I read the lots of things on the Ubuntu forums, but nothing is working in my case. Now I am searching for someone who is also using the Toshiba NB550D and able to manage with the Ubuntu 10.04 and also the person who will suggest me what to do exactly.

Hello friend, according to your suggestion, I tried with the Ubuntu 10.10 and after using that I found that it was working very slow. I am thinking that Ubuntu 11.04 will run faster as compare with the Ubuntu 10.10. and thanks you very much for your suggestion. I am still running on the same Ubuntu 10.10, and first tell me that what about Ubuntu 11.04? is this works very fast as compare to the Ubuntu 10.10? after your suggestion only I will try to get the Ubuntu 11.04 and then I will install it in my system. And also here I would like to know about if there is any problem while using the Ubuntu 11.04, please suggest me anyone if you are using this new version.

Ok, its fine if you dint want to look at the Ubuntu 11.04. in this case I would like to suggest you about the Mint or Opensuse. I am suggesting them because they also use Gnome 2.32 and they look like the basic interface. Just go and try for that and I am sure that you will like to use them. And report me back your experience after using them.

Hey hi all, now I get the proper solution for this. I think that Ubuntu 10.10 because while using the Ubuntu 10.10 I didn’t create the memory file. After watching this suggestion now I had made the memory file with the 2GB and now my Ubuntu 10.10 is running well. And I couldn`t install the AMD/ATI proprietary driver, I think this is because of I was using Ubuntu 10.10 from the USB drive. For resolving this issue I installed it on my hard drive and now all things are working so well. After installing all the driver for it now I am able to set the screen resolution as per my requirements. Thank you very much for your help. Now I can easily resolve my problem.

First tell me that have you got your Mic and Bluetooth working on the combo of Ubuntu 10.04 and NB550D? I want to know this thing because I have also done the setup and I found that they are not working for my. If you have working them in your system then please tell me. I want to resolve my problem and I am searching for this thing but not getting any proper idea for resolving that. If you are having some proper suggestion then tells me please. And thanks for the above suggestion.

Hi all thanks for the support. After reading the suggestion from here I tried with the Linux Mint in this case. And I am happy with that because it is working so good for me. Now while using this OS, I am able to set the screen resolution according to my requirements. Before watching the suggesting, someone was telling me that Toshiba doesn’t support the Linux operating system, and I was thinking that for that reason only I was not able to set the screen resolution on my machine. But now I can easily set the resolution according to my requirements. Thank you very much friends.