Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIFI not working in Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray

Re: WIFI not working in Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray

I have a linksys router wrt54g version 7
    I cannot find the sleep settings for wireless and what to do with inssider 2.0??
    Oh wait I think... yes it works. I only did the upgrade to the router and it solved the problem. I did not expect it to be that easy.

Thanks very much

question Re: WIFI not working in Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray

Hi,
    I was just wondering if anyone with Xperia Ray and LinkSys WRT54GS wireless router has actually managed to resolve the issue of the wireless router resetting itself everytime the WiFi connection on the Xperia Ray performs a scan? I have tried WEP with Default Transmit Key of 1 through to 4 and it seems only 1 enables the Xperia Ray to connect and that is when the continous connect and disconnect issue starts. When I try Default Transmit Key 2, 3, or 4, although the router connection doesn't keep disappearing, the phone connects with Limited Connectivity so it is obviously useless for getting onto the Internet.

I have tried WPA Personal and WPA2 Enterprise with AES+TKIP but both of these cause the same router drop-outs. I am surprised that the phone can cause the router's wireless connection to drop/disappear/stop working i.e. the rectangular yellow light with Cisco System written on it just keeps going on, staying on for a few seconds and then going off for a few seconds before the whole process then repeats. If I am lucky I can use WiFi for a few minutes before I get disconnected and re-connected. Its is very annoying!

However, at a friend's house, the Xperia Ray had no problem using their WiFi provided by a ZyXel router (P-660HE-TL v3) configured to use WPA.

I'm going to install InSSIDer to see if it will help to make sense of what is happening.

If you know of a solution to this LinkSys vs Xperia Ray issue please share.

Oops! I think I somehow missed the previous post because I have also resolved the problem with my Xperia Ray and LinkSys Wireless router.
    I browsed to:
    http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-eu/support/linksys
    Entered my Model number in the Mordel or Keyword search box:
    WRT54GS
    Selected the above model from the drop-down list and clicked on the big "Downloads" tab button down the page
    Turned my router over to read on the label underneath it that the version number of mine was "ver. 6", written next to the model number (WRT54GS)
    Selected my model's "Version 6.0" from the "Select Hardware Version" drop-down box
    Clicked on the "Download" link under the Firmware label to upgrade to version Ver.1.52.8
    Saved the .bin file (FW_WRT54GSv5v6_1.52.8.001_US_20091005.bin)
    Then went back to my router's Setup webpage (http://192.168.1.1) after logging on, and clicked on "Administration"
    Under Administration, I simply clicked on the light grey sub menu item of "Firmware Upgrade"
    Clicked on the "Browse" button to find the .bin Firmware file I downloaded from the Cisco website and clicked on "Upgrade".

The progress of the upgrade is then displayed in the second textfield and within a minute or so, the Firmware upgrade was completed. I clicked continue to return to the router Setup website, changed my Xperia Ray Wireless setting to forget the network and then set it up again using my WEP 128-bit Hex key (copy & paste obviously!) and to my surprise it now works beautifully!

Thanks to the person who provided the previous post regarding the Firmware upgrade because to be honest I was a little unsure about doing that!

Yes it is right that mostly firmware update fixes the issue. I was having a issue of dropping connection regularly. I had updated the firmware and it worked properly. There are regular updates of firmware available after a certain period of time which you can use to update your router.

After a few weeks of usage, both my Bluetooth and Wireless stopped working on my ST18i.
    Now anytime I try turn on my wifi, it comes on for 10 seconds (or so) then it turns off all by itself before having a chance to connect to any wireless networks. During that 10 seconds the wifi icon does not appear in the status bar, the device can not scan wifi networks and the phone is not reacting to any swipes or buttons (freezes).
    When I try turning on the Bluetooth, the "turning on" message can be seen for approx 10 seconds and then the checkbox is greyed out again with the "turn on Bluetooth" message showing. Tapping on it repeats what is mentioned above.
    These functions HAVE WORKED before (have browsed the internet on my device being connected to my home wifi, and have used a bluetooth headset in my car).
    Haven't changed or uninstalled anything of importance, it just seems to have happened for no particular reason.
    Tried removing/replacingb battery, doing factory reset, and as a last resort I even reinstalled Android 2.3.4 to no avail.

The phone is working fine in every other way.
    I'm stuck, need help please.

Andy (yentsee23@gmail.com)

Yentsee,

If i understand your querie properly then you are trying to connect to a BT Hub (bluetooth). Usually, the Xperia Ray does not support the bluetooth PAN profile for network connectivity like the older 'feature phones' from Sony (C905 for example). If that isnt the case, then it could be a problem of defective phone, try to replace it asap.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Actually, I was talking about the phone (Xperia Ray ST18i) itself.
    I dont have the chance to connect to any HUBs or wireless routers, because I CANT TURN ON THE WIFI nor the BLUETOOTH on my phone at all.
    Symptoms as above.
    Starting to think its a faulty phone, but then how have I used it (wifi browsing on phone while in bed and talking on a Bluetooth headset in my car) up until a few days/weeks ago with no problems?

Anyone seen anything like this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12