Thread: Clicked yes, when prompted to fix memory card error by my blackberry and that deleted everything

Clicked yes, when prompted to fix memory card error by my blackberry and that deleted everything

Hi people, I am in a big time mess. I had number of personal data saved and stored with my memory card on my blackberry. I never copied it anywhere else fearing its violation as those were very personal things. It was also very special to me to lose it just like that. Now what actually happened is that the other day I was happily using my cell phone when I was prompted with a question by my blackberry which asked something like ‘Your memory card has been detected with a number of errors. Do you want us to fix it?’ I clicked on yes as any other Tom, Dick or Harry would do. But to get the shock of my life I happened to notice that I have lost all the data that ever existed on my memory card and also that I am unable to access it anymore. This is such a disappointing and disheartening thing that has just happened. How is this possible? I mean deletion of such vital data without even a second word of asking if I wish to go about it or without even giving me a warning that the action might simply delete the entire data. Anyways, there’s no point in whining and crying about it now, I want to know what next? I mean what can be done to recover the data that I happened to lose and gaining access to my memory card?

Re: Clicked yes, when prompted to fix memory card error by my blackberry and that deleted everything

This looks like a major attack of virus on your phone, you need to fix that as soon as possible. I am not very good with that but I would request my co-posters to please help out this user with the troubleshooting and diagnostic methods that you can come up with. That’ll be great help

As far as the data recovery is concerned there are definitely number of ways and means to do that which is not at all difficult by any chance. It is very easy and simple to recover deleted photographs and other files from a camera memory card or any other memory stick as such. Please note not to load any new files to the memory card so as to increase the chances of recovery. This is not possible in your case because you any ways don’t have access to your phone.

Let me explain the mechanism as to how does this happens, look, when you happen to delete any file or picture from a memory card, it is not the data that is deleted in the process. It is just the file system pointers that does the task of informing where exactly these files are located. What happens is that the place where these files are stored is also marked as free space and the new files are overwritten on this place instead. Now, when you include new files in that, an already overwritten file cannot be removed to bring back the old file so, after that the data is lost forever. Hence, it makes it very important a task to take care that no new data is included into the memory card or stick after in the meantime as that might cause problems
    The best option to try is to use some recovery software as there is no physical or mechanical way to do this. These are easily available online just check for some

Just to save your expense, download some trial version of the recovery software, if you are lucky enough to find trial version which gives full service, that is well and good but you are sure to atleast find a trial version that will if not much then atleast let you scan the memory card for the deleted files and show you the files which can be recovered easily. Atleast, you wont have to pay and then regret when no files are available for recovery

Re: Clicked yes, when prompted to fix memory card error by my blackberry and that deleted everything

By what I can read and understand, one thing is for sure that your device is under the attack of a cruel virus. Try and get rid of it ASAP. For now, try these:
    1. Please insert your memory card into some other device maybe on another phone or on the computer, if the memory card works, don’t celebrate because there are a couple of chances then, which can be one among the fact that your memory card is totally fine and the issue is with your phone’s internal memory or the card reading driver that installed in your system and is deployed to search read any card.
    2. There exists some card which is manufactures with an embedded read/write security switch on the card. Please make sure that it has been set to ‘Write enabled’
    3. Also make very much sure that the data that is currently saved in the card does not exceed than the 75% of its written capacity
    4. Remove the memory card and check if there is any kind of dirt on it or any other kind of obstruction to the metal contact of the card and device
    5. Clean all the metal parts of the card that is meant to be in contact with the device with a clean cloth and isopropyl alcohol, that does wonders
    6. Check and confirm in the most clearest way possible about the fact that the memory card is completely entered into the slot of the device
    7. Take the memory card out and shine a stream of light to the empty slot of the device and try to see and check if there are any kinds of small pins that are bent. You will need to submit the device and get its servicing done if this problem exists in there. So check properly
    8. If the bent or the slits are not that serious and severe than, use a pencil to rectify it, just pull it up and it’ll be fine
    9. While checking that, also check and confirm that there is no two pins touching each other. In that case also submit the phone

Both my forum mates have done an excellent job by giving the best possible solutions for the issue. Awesome work, Kork and RidD I would just like to educate users like Vento and other users with ways and means of staying away from problems related to memory card.
    • When you are attempting to operate on a file or save a file or read a file, never ever try removing your memory card from the slot, it creates problems
    • When you are attempting to turn your system off or on, don’t even think of removing the memory cars at that point of time, it might get corrupt
    • Do not swap between your memory cards when you have kept your device on! this might kill both memory cards, so beware!
    • Avoid taking pictures or listening to music whenever your phone is low on battery, it is harmful for both the camera and the device
    • Do not use cheap brand of memory cards, always chose from the big brands, namely: SanDisk, Panasonic, Sony, Kingston, Lexar, Olympus etc
    • If you notice several memory cards getting damaged, make sure your device is fine, you need to suspect it on such occasions
    • You must be well aware that memory card does not have a very finite lifespan. A typical memory card can bear more than 10,000 write or erase operations. So, consider a replacement of memory card when a specific span is passed, better than losing data, right?