Thread: How to Use SetPLL to overclock your alienware R2 beyond 166 MHz ?

How to Use SetPLL to overclock your alienware R2 beyond 166 MHz ?

HI, I have a alienware machine and I am about to overclock the machine but don’t know how to that, and thus I was just searching about the same but the thing is like when I came across some of the threads I came to know that there is a software called SetPLL through that we can do this.

And if suppose it is possible that what other things that I need to have? What can I expect to get beyond 166mhz? And if I done anything so will it make any noticeable effect on the battery?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Re: How to Use SetPLL to overclock your alienware R2 beyond 166 MHz ?

yeah off course you can do this for sure, and I would like to tell you about this but before that I would like to tell you about the configuration that you must have to have in your machine.

CPU – intel core i3/ i5/ i7 .

Operating system - Tested: Win7/64 and WinXP

Software- SetPLL or setfsb (SetPLL is recommended)

PSU – 450Watt minimum

I am not responsible for any damage but still as the extent to I know it work perfectly stable with an R2 that is already stable at 166mhz. but if suppose you have i7 processor than you can simply run it at 182mhz.
    Now Follow the below mentioned steps in order to over clocked your machine.

1. First of all you have to download setPLL file from the internet and install it in your machine, but while you install it you should make sure about the destination path as we have to make use of it further.

2. SetPLL is a command line program so you must open command prompt before starting it. and hope you know how to do it or Just type cmd into Windows search and hit enter.

3. Memorize the SetPLL directory which you have noted while installing In my case, it is C:\setplldv2.

Now exercise the command called “cd” and the directory to navigate to it. So in my case, the code is “cd C:\setpllv2d”. you have to mentioned the directory where you have actually stored the software.

4. Now in the same windows you have to type “setpll m11xr2” to query the obtainable clock speeds.

5. pick a clock speed and enter the command “setpll m11xr2 xxx” where “xxx” is the clock speed whatever you have gotten previously.

6. After doing this you can simply test the stability as well with IntelBurnTest or any of your favorite stability tester.

7. To automate the overclock we require creating a shortcut to setpll, after making open properties of the shortcut by right clicking the shortcut. There, inside the Target textbox, you need to enter “m11xr2 xxx” where xxx is the clockspeed.

8. Put the shortcut into the startup folder.

9. This way you have completed the overclocking but for getting more power you can simply overclock the RAM and some other capable hardware as well.

I am very eager to make this changes in my machine, anyways it was really good to see your prompt reply. I have noticed some other utilities included in the packages, don’t know what are they actually?

You might be thinking of automated, setIGP, GMAboost, HPfan, devset. I mentioning the short description for those settings.

Automated - directory of scripts to repeatedly set your AC or DC clocks on startup, throughout AC<->DC switch & subsequent to a resume-from-standby/ hibernate. Shortcut resume-setPLL.vbs in startup directory to utilize.

setIGP - To modify the center Render Clock on GM950/X3100/4500MHD IGPs. A downclock + Maximum Battery in Intel IGP systray giving greatest glitch-free stable setPLL overclock.

GMAboost – GMABooster replica to perform a netbook GMA950 overclock.

HPfan - service to to save/load HP Elitebook fan profiles.

DSDT\ - iasl+asl utils to create a custom DSDT override for fan control.

Devset – (9 devcon) ~Device Manager for use in your batch files/scripts.