Thread: Pinmod and overclocking method for Alienware M11x R1 (SLG= Hardmod only)

Pinmod and overclocking method for Alienware M11x R1 (SLG= Hardmod only)

I just wanted to know how to pinmod and the overclocking method for M11x R1.I also want to know that what is pinmod? what are it gains? can it be done by me? how to identify PLL? what are the advantage and disadvantage of doing it? any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

re: Pinmod and overclocking method for Alienware M11x R1 (SLG= Hardmod only)

As far as i know the pinmod is basically used for disconnecting the TME pin from the PLL which PIN 14 in your case and By disconnecting PIN 14 you can possibly unlock the PLL an thus allowing the same to get controlled by SetFSB which is used further overclocking and as far as the gain id concerned you can really get what you actually put in for eg if you are likely to add 20 percent extra clo0ck speed than you will surely get 20 percent extra performance in the apps that are bottle-necked by CPU.

All the M11x owners can easily attempt this mod no matter they have the "SU 7300" or "SU 4100" and as far as i know there might be 2 types of PLL used in the M11x first is the "ICS 9LPRS387" and the second is "8SP556V but i have heard that only "ICS PLL" is supported for now but the potential of overclocking is different for every one by which your mileage can vary from others.

In order to check that which PLL you have you have to use SetFSB and select the PLL “ICS9LPRS365BGLF” and then select “Get FSB”.If you get a “PLL ID error” in return from the SetFSB then it means that you are not having the "ICS9LPRS387" and you are having the"SLG8SP556V" PLL but in order to confirm that you are having the SLG PLL you have to select the “SLG8SP513V” and then click on “Get FSB” If the the FSB values is correctly displayed by the SetFSB then you will be definitely having the SLG PLL.

But you can do this mod if yiu are having a SLG PLL because the SLG PLL is not programmable but still it is likely possible to overclock to 1.73/1.8/1.95/2/2.16 Ghz with the help of the FSLx mod.All the clockspeeds are the hard mods which require soldering fine pins except 1.73Ghz but it will not work in case if you use conductive pen and it will result in giving you a brick without warranty as well.

The advantage of doing this mod is that it is quite faster and you are likely to gain more speed as compared to the system's Overclock mode It is a full voltage Core 2 Duo as well as quite low end and At 2Ghz it is 10% slower as compared to the i5 TS 166.You can also use the M11x as it comes with 1.73Ghz with SpeedStep,it doesn't get hot as well and it will hardly consume your battery life.

The disadvantage of doing this mod is that it Cannot clock down if Once SetFSB clocks the CPU up and you cannot clock it down back to stock without suffering a crash,It is Not automated as well as it requires to keep using SetFSB unless you get the shareware version in order to automate the overclock during startup.The main disadvantage is that When the system crashes it stops booting and it is likely to boot with a black screen giving you a message that the Operating system is not found and then you have to do a hard reset.