Thread: No More HP: WebOS devices

No More HP: WebOS devices

HP has announced that they will be discontinuing the products of WebOS specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones. HP will continue to explore options to optimize the value of WebOS software going forward. It's clear that a separation of HP the software company and HP the hardware manufacturer leaves no room in the for extension of Pre or TouchPad family.

Re: No More HP: WebOS devices

I don’t think it will be the end of touchpad. I think they are gonna open up the hardware for a different company altogether so that they could concentrate on the software. They are gonna sell off WebOS and Palm patents to other business ventures. I think and hope they it will be Samsung buying the hardware patents for HP. It would be really great with Samsung already up in the mobile market would really be cool t otake HP up.

Its sad, that HP are leaving WebOS. I thought it had potential and was really nice. I thought they would continue with development of it even though touchpad failed, but they have hugely disappointed me by this announcement. I just feel for those who bought Touchpad! It’s a dead device now and not much of use since there will be no support, no updates and no enhancements for it. I pity those beings who got TouchPad belieaving HP would not bail them out by giving defeat instead of developing WebOS which was undoubtedly the best OS out there, They just couldn’t utilize it in the market as they would have hoped for;.

The advantages of WebOS for me were the UI were among the best. Also they were among the first to release multi-touch with Palm OS, much before iPhone did. I know their might be other big patents up Palm and WebOs’s sleeve which should be big for other buyers to show interest in the HP PC market.

I will surely hope they extend the functionalities of WebOS by Palm, as they are very important in today's mobile market. Some of the features like
    # Native support to multi-touch
    # Multitasking made easy due to Card System used
    # Proprietary model so no one can extend the OS except for Palm
    # Huge selection of over 1200 apps in their store and a growing community of developers.