Thread: How to check with what mobile operator is the iPhone 4 locked?

How to check with what mobile operator is the iPhone 4 locked?

I want to know what operator does the iphone uses. I don’t want to know about unlocking the iPhone so that you can use any mobile operator, I just want to know what operator does the iPhone use. Any one has any idea how to check?? I know I can check it by going to the store, but want to know if it’s possible by some IMEI number or something like that?

Re: How to check with what mobile operator is the iPhone 4 locked?

It’s of no use calling Apple as they aren’t going to tell. The ysaid none of the phones in the USA and Canada are factory unlocked. It may lock to multiple server like TM and AT&T, but it will not work on every carrier freely. What you can do: Look at the model code of the phone (the last two letters), it indicates the country or region it belongs to. Then you can try all Sims of your region to accurately guess what operator service is present.

You should register to a paid service at the site allGMSunlock. Is costs you $10 and will tell you about the lcoked service operator. So, you can register on it too.

Yes, its from the model code. I will post some of the locked models info for some countries:
    • For Germany, the model no. MC603DN/A and MC605DN/A have T-Mobile
    • For USA, MC608LL/A & MC610LL/A have AT&T
    • For Spain, MC603Y/A & MC605Y/A have Vodafone and Orange locked.
    There are some factory unlocked models for UK, they are MC603B/A & MC605B/A.

I have the iPhone 4G series and the model number is MC605B/A from UK. You have mentioned that it is unlocked, but I have problem with activation. Whenever I connect it to the iTunes I have this message:
    "The sim card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported". It says that only supported Carrier can be used to activate the iPhone. I then jailbreaked the phone and used the sim, but it now shows no network for the pone. Do you think it is locked?

Your phone is locked with UK Orange, so you will need this card in order to activate your phone with iTunes. There is no way you can get the information from IMEi number actually, the Apple store have themselves confirmed about it. You just have to check the model number with the list of compatible operators.

The operator info cannot be found out from the IMEi number or serial number as they don't have an ATT line, a Rogers line or Vodaphone line at the Apple factories in China. They just make the structure of the phone and these operators then lock them later on. I think tgoing to Apple store is the best option. I had some issue with SIM cards not being recognized, and went to apple store. He took my phone to the back, and then in some 3 mins came back telling me , that the pone is ATT compatible and I had Fido that’s why I couldn’t use it. Also, the phone is GSM so if you try using a CDMA card it will simply not work.