Thread: Windows 7 Phone Screen capture Utility

Windows 7 Phone Screen capture Utility

I am using Windows 7 Phone, on my phone. Is there a new, fast and easy way to capture screens in this OS. Is there any application available by which I can do that? There is a utility similar to this on the Android SDK known as DDMS. It is a debugging software but also allows screen-capture on the device. I would really like such an app as I am a developer myself, it is very helpful.

Re: Windows 7 Phone Screen capture Utility

The only way possible is by using the emulator which is in the dev kit. With the help of emulator you can emulate the screen of the programs that are there. Just run your application and when you get to the screen you can save by pressing Control + Command + C. The ‘screen image’ will be copied to your clipboard. You can then start preview by pressing ‘preview’, create a new file with the clipboard contents by pressing Command + N, and save by Command + S. This is the only way to save a screenshot of the phone or just take the photo of the entire screen which is obvious.

Oh, it’s sad, I thought there will be a app for that. Now I will need the developer kit for this and connect it to PC every time. I am a blogger and would love if it was easier to get the screenshot and upload them directly onto the internet from the phone. Hopefully there are some who develop these tools soon enough. It’s really strange as every other phone has that option with them.

Don’t be so naïve about these things. I believe it's because of a security issue, especially on phones that are more open like android. If there's a way to do screenshots then any rogue program can hook in there and simply steal info. From the phone and use it for their advantage. Though there are ways to counter it like Apple has it tied to a button combo that only they can trap at the OS level, so they won’t access the critical information on the phone. I'd like to see the same thing on WP7. But since WP7 is available on different platforms so and every phone has diff. manufacturing and buttons so they cannot make a button combo so easily on the different phones. Every Apple button has a Home button and a Power button that is same function, same is not the case with Windows phone devices.

There is a software SNIPPING TOOL! That is perfect for screenshots but works only with emulators. It makes using the emulator easier but I feel there should be an option on the phone that captures it like the iPhone. Hope they produce something soon I believe the ywill. My Facebook minifeed is always plagued with iPhone screenshots of various things people want to share about their phone. It would be a nice way to advertise Windows Phone in that manner. They should think about it.

I've seen a version of a screen capture app but the system would have to be circumvented to install it and is overly complicated to use it, I'll just wait for Microsoft to provide a way to do it.
    I think the problem with creating such an application has been the inability for developers to create multi-tasking applications that will navigate across many applications. Now that Microsoft has relaxed the restrictions somewhat about buttons and all and with the latest developer update tools, I think some 3rd party can invest some time in it and create the application. I will wait till Mango update to see if the functionality has been expanded also. I say just put it into the OS like the iPhone and make the shortcut involve the camera button somehow, like Start button+Camera button.

You should contact the manufacturer as the yare in a better position to help you. When, they see that many people desire a new feature in their phone, they will add it soon. Just like HTC added Hidden Wi-Fi app when they found that WP7 does not support hidden access point. So, if they want to add a button feature they can release it. If you request Microsoft they cannot do much, and will probably have to wait until the next OS update but if the manufacturer makes the feature available they will release it through their resp. market place and will be available immediately.