Thread: Is SSD better than HDD for Lenovo T420?

Is SSD better than HDD for Lenovo T420?

Welcome! I'm regarding a T420 with a SSD as a substitute for a HDD, but I don't know in the event that I might as well purchase the T420 pre-designed with a SSD or in the event that I might as well overhaul it myself. Well I hold countless inquiries, first is which SSD ought to I get? It is safe to say that it is the Intel 320? Could I modify/add spacers? Will the incorporated recuperation discs go with the late drive (I'm concerned about part sizes, ThinkVantage, and so forth? Are there profits of having the SSD pre-instituted over overhauling? It would be ideal if you answer soon.

Re: Is SSD better than HDD for Lenovo T420?

Newly I installed a 60 GB Intel 310 mSATA. Also from the factory I got my Lenovo T420 with a 500 GB hard drive installed. I use the Lenovo online data backup/recovery program to burn backup disks. To avoid back up program from reloading onto the HD I used the backup disks for restoring data to the mSATA. Its working fine now, everything is running fine including same OS that was installed at the factory. Installing the mSATA is very convenient. You can replace the HDD as it is designed to be a component which is user-serviceable. Only thing you have to do is remove the screws including the panel in the bottom, after that insert the card and then replace the panel, screw it down. Note that if you are uncomfortable with such kind of thing than consult the engineer or the manufacturer. The reason I am sharing my experience is that I want prove that HDD is better than SSD. So, my votes id for HDD.

It is accurate that a post-retail part you join, incorporating a SSD, should not be wrapped by your warranty. You ought to choose for yourself if any expense investment funds and more decisions are worth this divergence. A terrific a significant number of folks update their hard drives, and note that this tries not to void the warranty on the rest of the laptop.

It's not sharp to purchase RAM from Lenovo as an overhaul, as it sets back the ol' finances so far something greater than what you would be able to get in some other place, and seldomly founders (and when disagreeable RAM happens--again, VERY once in a while)--it should regularly be within the producer's warranty or retailer's return period anyway).

Intel doesn't, the extent that I know, build a 310 arrangement SSD in 60 GB.

The T420 is not, the extent that I know, offered with 500 GB drive. The 500 GB drives in 7mm tallness are on the borderline of as a matter of fact hitting the business. The T420 is at present offered with the most towering-limit 7mm mechanical drive and 320 GB drive.

I concur, however, that a mSATA drive could be the approach to go. You could probably get a 80 GB Intel 310 mSATA SSD for $170-190 hinging on accesability and bargains during that timeframe, and there are different cheaper choices. This gives the finest of both worlds: snappier plate exhibition for the OS and systems, and more space good to go on the mechanical disc for records, music, or whatever. Utilizing the industrial facility-restore programming that comes stacked on your Thinkpad is an exceptional wagered when instituting a SSD. You would be able to utilize it to build an alternate picture, which then is utilized to reinstall all items on the brand new drive, incorporating Lenovo drivers and administration programming.

Equipments that are aftermarketed usually accompanies its particular warranty. User-aid capable join-ons similar to this make a point not to void your warranty. 2. I requested my T420 with a lone 4GB memory module and after that united an additional one post-retail. Again, simple to do and makes a point not to void your warranty (and has its particular, divide warranty). 3. Amend, its a 80 GB 310 (not a 60, typo on my part). 4. The T420 most unquestionably does have a 500 GB ready for it. It's a Seagate ST9500420AS and went together with it from the processing plant. The T420 is NOT constrained to just 7mm drives (alternate models, such as the T420S, are confined in how tall a drive will fit). The Lenovo backup/store took care of not just reloading the entire drive, but additionally verifying the allotments were respectably adjusted to escape exhibition situations. It works fantastic.

My T420 (which reaches today) just had a 320 GB 7mm drive good to go as a mechanical-circle choice at time of request. It should join grander elastic rails or whatever that keeps it in place. Now I'm freeloaded that I can't pick a 500 GB 7200 RPM drive. I'm determined to have a couple of spare 320mm drives provided that I overhaul, and I don't require that countless movable facades. Speculate I'll hold up a year or several and attempt to snap up a 500GB for inexpensive, or even a more gigantic drive, and attempt to hold my mode down then. I quite might have utilized the additional space; on account of I do a reasonable sum of advanced photography.

You would not be able to acknowledge any speed departures; the Intel can be snappier on humble irregular peruses and so forth., which is where you could feel the greater part of the snappy reaction from a SSD; top reads/writes of successive information are to be sure snappier on the cheaper MyDigitalSSD drives; the MyDigitalSSD drives have just been out for a few months, so there is no reliable illumination yet on inadequacy rates; disappointment rates of Intel SSDs are known to be flat; the Intel drive has much easier capacity expenditure, which could head to discernibly longer electric cell existence. What's more, the cost for each gigabyte is not boundlessly special; IIRC the Intel goes in at around $2.40 for each gig, and the MyDigitalSSD drives will consistently go in at around $1.80 for every gig. I ran with Intel unpaid to needing flat capacity expenditure and shown reliability, but you would be able to discredit a mess of stresses over feasible washout of any SSD by essentially performing more visit reinforcements.

Following you instate the mSATA drive, you will get your OS and systems on it, in all probability. You would like to take an auxiliary then, and restore that auxiliary if there should arise an occurrence of a flop, so you don't need to reinstall and reactivate all your programming. Utilizing the Recovery Media is an exceptional approach to perform the introductory introduction of the OS and drivers onto the mSATA head, following it will verify that every last trace of the decent Lenovo drivers and administration programming are introduced.

One thing I was thinking about that may work, following you get your mSATA running is too situated up a parcel on the essential mechanical drive to utilize as a boot circle in the event of flop. You are able to invariably do that when a washout happens, however. Reinforcements are your partner, and so are Intel drives which don't appear to fall flat that frequently.

In the event that you utilize the lenovo backup/restore you'll be leaving the existing, working OS on the HD. You unequivocally need to uproot it for a time in place for the restoration to see just the mSATA drive. Once it’s reloaded you are able to shutdown and reinstall the HD. It will then appear as a different head when the SSD.