Thread: How much RAM is ok 4GB or 8GB for ThinkPad X120e?

How much RAM is ok 4GB or 8GB for ThinkPad X120e?

I have ordered the Lenovo ThinkPad X120e with the AMD E-350. I have also gone through the extension of the memory of the ThinkPad, I found that it can be extended up to 4 GB, but I have also found that many people or the users have posted that they have extended it to 8 GB. As I read for the 4 GB it says I have to insert the 2 GB two different in the two different slots of the RAM. So I want you people to give me some advice and suggestion whether I can do the upgrade to 8 GB. I am running the current computer on the windows XP operating system, is the 8 GB will be supportive for windows 7 or not. And also DDR3 – 1066 4 GB stick will work or not, if yes then recommend some 4 GB stick. Thank you.

Re: How much RAM is ok 4GB or 8GB for ThinkPad X120e?

I am using the Lenovo X120e with the XT Momentus Hybrid 500 GB, 4 GB RAM, 1 x 1 Wi-Fi, I have installed the Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium Service Pack 1 Operating System, I also use the 1333 OCZ brand, and I am not facing any problem with it till now.

Yes it works, as I have recently installed the 8 GB using the G.SKILL F3-1066CL9D-8GBBSQ, which is the DDR3- 1333 PC3-1066 4096 MB x 2 CL9 – 9 – 9 – 24 SO – DIMM kit. I have also set the RAM clocks at the slower speed. As I am using it and I have not face any problem till now. I think you can upgrade / extend to the 8 GB and you will be not able to find problem with. The company never shows / tells the actual extension of the memory. I was also searching but I found and inserted it and running it also properly without any problem till this time as I am using it. The main decision is upon you whether you want to do the extension or not.

I would suggest you to go with the company tells you, as it says to go till 4 GB so you better go for the 4 GB extension, as the company people know more than you might be knowing, if you go more than the extension then your system will stop working or may give more problem after some couple period of time.

The ThinkPad X120e can be used with 8 GB, but the company that it supports 4 GB. I would say the install 8 GB at your own risk. If you are using the windows XP then it will see only 3 GB out of the 8 GB. You would be better to use any 64-Bit OS to use all the 8 GB or you can use the 32-Bit version of the windows server2003. As the most of the DDR3 – 1066 and 1333 modules will support or work on your system. As some users were having problem of not working with the system which was the reason of the low grade of the DDR3, so you better buy the high-rate DDR3 which will work with your system. I recommend you to use the Samsung or the Micron, the Crucial is the solid choice to use it. If you getting the 1333 lesser / cheaper than the 1066 then you better take it. It will be good and also best to upgrade the System to the 1333 MHz memory bus. Hope the recommendation is best and also good for you.

The 8 GB works better on your Lenovo laptop and I have also found user which are using it and they are not getting any type of the problem till the time they are using it. I would tell you to do the upgrade and it is also better to use after an up gradation.

Well the company provides with the better support for the long run of the system and I would recommend you to go along with the company subjected or recommended you. As the 8 GB seems to works good and better also, but you do not know after some update of the Lenovo software it might give you some sort of the problem to work with it. The company makes software with the reference of the product which they have launched and also to the reference till what size it is supportive for the system. The company always provides the customer with the best and good also. So it is better and great to work and also it best for your supportive.

Well I am using the simple configuration which has come along with the laptop; I have never thought to go for the up gradation of the laptop. I would suggest you to go for it if it is not giving any problem in the future use of the system, as the new software or any new program which you will be installing in it.

As the above users have provide you with the best information that whether you can upgrade to 8 GB. As it works better and also best and it has not given any sort of problem to any users who have try and worked on it. I would recommend using it and also you buy the best and also the good DDR3, as the above user have mention with the poor and bad DDR3 used and given the problem. So you better search for the good RAM. I would also to tell some links on the internet which tells that which DDR3 is the best along which laptop you are using it and also along with the processor you are using it. If I would be at your place I have done the up gradation and might be working on it also.