Thread: GPS Receiver and Skype on Toshiba THRiVE Tablet

GPS Receiver and Skype on Toshiba THRiVE Tablet

Hello I have some questions about Thrive tab and I am looking for their answers. The first one is does Thrive have an external receiver or is it entirely based upon Wi-Fi connection? My second question is Can I use the tab camera along with Skype that I’ve installed?

Re: GPS Receiver and Skype on Toshiba THRiVE Tablet

Yes, it uses real GPS like Garmin, QStars that use GPS Satellites. So, it is not entirely dependant on Wi-Fi. You can use Wi-Fi as a backup when there is no connection or indoors where there is no signal. Also, for the second question, I am sorry to say that your tab has Skype under Honeycomb. So the current versions at least don’t support video calling or using the phone camera.

I have problems with the gps. Since I use navigation, it went fine till I reached the destination. Then I turned my thrive off. Then I put it on again while going back to house but now no gps connection. The tablet tried for many minutes to find my location, could not find it. I had no Wi-Fi connection as I was in the middle of nowhere. So, this direct gps device isn’t worth it I think. I will so during this time what must I do?

You can use a Bluetooth application on the market which when you use mock location uses an external GPS. It is the one that uses WAAS to be more accurate and works at 5 KHz. Some of the apps of external GPS Bluetooth like GlobalSat BT-368 and USB as BU-353 receivers I would like to try. Also, GPS Test Plus app.

You can also use offline maps when you don’t have a stable connection using the site mapdroyd to find all the maps you frequently use. Now, you won’t have a problem when the signal goes off suddenly.