Thread: Toshiba thrive tablet unable to connect to WIFI

Toshiba thrive tablet unable to connect to WIFI

As by means of this tablet I am only able to connect to my home network only though I turn off the security settings. And I using Linksys WRT54G router for connecting to the internet. I called Toshiba service center for the same and they told me that possibly the router would not be compatible with the Android 3.1 system. And I was advised to ensure with Cisco and see if they could help. Any idea what could be the problem with the device? Is this is the problem because of the settings of the router? Any suggestion would be surely appreciated.

re: Toshiba thrive tablet unable to connect to WIFI

Surely this might be because of the router settings only that you have to made as you need to choose wither the WEP service or the WPA. So I don’t know as you haven’t mentioned which one you are using in your router thus I would say you should try to switch them as if you are using WEP you should make use of another one and vice versa. I have a WRT54G router and with that I am using WEP and without any hesitation I can connect any network. Have you ever contacted the cisco for the same? Because if might be possible that the router firmware might not be compatible with the android 3.1 thus at this moment you should first of all try to contact the cisco so that you can have idea about the latest firmware if there is any or at least you’ll get the idea about the current firmware.

For accessing the private network you must have to have the rights first of all and the authentication regarding the rights are made with the unique identity with the user name and the password. So must have to have that information in order to connect to other network, and as far as private network is concern you should ensure that all the settings are made perfectly.

you should make sure the SSID and the security settings are same in both the router and your device as well. While providing the information such as username and the password you need to make sure that the letters are perfectly written and in some of the cases they are case sensitive as well thus you should check the UPPER CASE and lower case settings as well. At this moment the best option is to copy and paste the information from one place to another.

as far as I know Toshiba Thrive won’t connect to WPA2 or WPA thus you must have to try to using WEP only and with me it is working smoothly.

if suppose you are not getting anything after such a huge effort the best way is to start it from the beginning, I mean to say as there might be too many settings would be done incorrectly and its quite difficult as well to make then proper until and unless we don’t have proper knowledge thus you should try to make all the settings to their default and make use of the manual that you must have been gotten with the device, because in the connectivity section they must be provided the information regarding the connectivity. So make all the settings accordingly mentioned in the manual, but the thing is like you’ll not be able to connect the mobile it the router firmware is not compatible with the device firmware.

Re: Toshiba thrive tablet unable to connect to WIFI

according to me you should reset everything as mentioned by the above user. Shut down and reboot or just get closer to your wireless transmitter, re-insert your keys paying close concentration. It works, but mine can be a bit testy at times.

Ok. Where do I begin...

I purchased a thrive at Best Buy.
    It connects to wifi home system fine and some of the malls and sees other wifis fine.

I had to root my samsung tmobile galaxy s vibrant phone to get it to become a hotspot.

It was successful in the fact that my daughter can pick up the wifi on her ipod touch.

When I attempt to connect the thrive it scanning does not find it.

Others have been successful in connecting to my phone, just the thrive can not see my phone.

Am I missing something?

I am using Open Garden and/or Barnacle as the tethering pgms.

I am lost.

Eric

Basically any android phone which is rooted can be tethered with the toshiba thrive tablet and just download barnacle. It works great and its very fast especially when on 4g or 3g. For the hotspot, was it a public one or at home? If public, try using the browser. There might be a disclaimer to agree to.

Did not work.

I am still lost.

The Thrive picked up my home wifi network.
    My daughters Ipod picked up my home Wifi and my hotspot (rooted) Galaxy S vibrant phone.
    My friend also picked up my hotspot (rooted) Galaxy S Vibrant Phone.

I could not get my Thrive to pick up my hotspot (rooted) Galaxy S Vibrant phone with OpenGarden or Barnacle.

Is there a setting, or does the Thrive have to be rooted as well?

Eric

I would say that dont use Barnacle at all since it creates Ad-Hoc network that is a problem while detecting the wifi network. So what i would say here is that remove that and then try searching for the wifi hotspots. In case if you are a good programmer then you can make use of the cm7 mod as well.

My Thrive can not find my Galaxy S Vibrant Wifi hotspot, that is why I wonder if I need to have the Thrive Rooted as well?

I would not mind a physical tether either if I knew what program to use.
    And of course I would have to go and purchase that wire in particular.

I am at a loss.

Eric.

annasu Guest

Try the soft reset that was recommended (small paperclip in the reset button).
    You won't lose apps or other stored info.