Thread: Bluetooth A2DP stereo clarity is Poor

Bluetooth A2DP stereo clarity is Poor

I’ve written many forum posts before this regarding the issue. Hope someone in here can solve the help in solving the issue. The problem is the quality of the audio listening to Bluetooth stereo headset is very poor in Web OS. I use the same headset on Palm 800W and the quality is great. I think it’s the value of bitpool that’s causing it. The bitpool value is by default too low on Palm Pre, it is set to 58 on the Palm OS. I cannot set the bitpool values as they are kept in a Palm file “PmBtEngine” which is not open source and I cannot access it. There might be some other way of solving it.

Re: Bluetooth A2DP stereo clarity is Poor

As far as I know, Palm OS do not provide any means to change bitpool values and it won’t be possible. The value is a registry setting which was intended for the hardware manufacturers to tweak and not the users. It might be a problem with the Bluetooth device as I had two Motorola T-305 hands free units and one of them had poor quality and the unit itself was at fault. So you might wanna check the device unit altering before the phone.

The headset I use is Plantronics Voyager, I just tried a Jaybird JB-200, and the quality is exact same, SO I am convinced the problem is with the Bluetooth engine as I have used both of these on my Palm and they work fine over there. I think it is the bitpool value which that tells the Bluetooth engine what quality/bitrate to use for A2DP Stereo mode. I think that’s not sett properly.

I’ve recently seen the file “PmBtEngine” code for the new release WebOS 1.2 and the code which was referencing bitpool has been removed. That was the code which was giving error before, so possibly they have found out the mistake with it and removed it from the code. Now you can try to use the Bluetooth headset with this new release and tell me if that headset works fine with these. I think they should give user’s option to alter the SBC bitpool value. As the current value of 32 is not enough if I want a CD quality volume in my car or headphones. This must be a user configurable parameter. I know there is a risk of skipping through the audio, but you give a warning about it like Pandora has for their audio quality setting.

This issue is not just with the Palm OS. Many of the smartphones suffer the same problem. I think they are not attentive to it as not many use the A2DP headphones anymore. It’s not because it dosen’t give great quality, it does; it’s just it is not configured properly. The issue is present in almost every phone uses Ad2P Bluetooth headsets.