Thread: Can playbook act as a gps device

Can playbook act as a gps device

I was looking to buy a GPS device for myself and somebody told me that I can use Playbook that can be used as a GPS device. So, I also searched for some answers whether this playbook can be used as a GPS or not but didnt find anything. I have the option to return it if it will not work. I am using a Blackberry Bold and there is an app on this phone where I need to pay some money as a one time fee to access GPS, so I was wondering if this is what I need to use or something else? Thanks

Re: Can playbook act as a gps device

Well, you can buy the Blackberry Playbook that comes with a brilliant built in GPS. I can confirm that the Bing maps are already installed on it and it works well also. You can also use another GPS app like Poynt and the best part is that it comes for free and can be easily downloaded via the App World. Then there is another one called Magellian Compass which comes for $4.99 only.

Re: Can playbook act as a gps device

Yes, you can buy Playbook which is capable of supporting GPS features but right now there are no decent GPS apps available at the moment. I have read somewhere that Garmin might be developing their app for Playbook, which is a very good app. However I am just waiting for Playbook 2.0 OS that could come with Android preinstalled. And with this android OS, either Garmin or TomTom might port their apps for this Playbook edition.

Actually Playbook does have support for GPS that comes with everything like antenna, hardware as well as software which lets it to calculate your co-ordinates on the world. It is also capable of running those apps which has all other features but for many of those features till now no apps is written yet for this platform.