Thread: The FireWire 800 port is not functional in aluminum imac

The FireWire 800 port is not functional in aluminum imac

I am having the aluminum imac but when I was trying to connect the FW800 Hard drive that I have then I found that it does not work. After that I tried to connect the similar drive to the MBP then this was working very well. I am still having the tiger though the Macbook pro has leopard. Can you have any idea that what can be the problem with this? Thank you so much for replying to this question in advance.

Re: The FireWire 800 port is not functional in aluminum imac

The best thing that you can do is to contact the Apple Store and ask them about the problem. And if you bought that recently and FireWire 800 port is not working then you should contact the dealer and they will solve the problem for you. Don’t try to do anything non on your hand as that can create more problems for it. This is the only thing that I can suggest you for this and hope that it will be resolved soon.

What you can do is to put the firewire target disk mode and then insert that to some other Mac. Check if that is able to mount the external drive or not. Other than this, you can also try by booting from the OS X install disc and then plug in the external drive and verify that if it is getting detected by the Disk Utility. This are the two things that you can do to see if it helps you or not.

I am very much agree with the above suggestion and if both of this solutions do not help you then this I not the problem with the software. It is something related to the hardware and to get it resolved, you should take that to any Apple service centre and they will fix that for free if it is under warranty. If that is out of warranty then also they will do it but you will be charged for that. I hope you will be out of this soon.

This is a nothing but a defect. The Firewire ports lying on the first-gen aluminum iMacs getting fail every so often. When this occurs then you will have to reset the computer through pulling the power cord for as a minimum 15 seconds. Apple has never stepped up to obtain dependability for this otherwise fix it. I cannot understand the reason for this. Because not sufficient people have made a large enough stink meant for them to fess up.

I was utilizing such a 'toaster dock' final week for a Lion establish on a SL segment via FW 800. Drive could turn, and continue rotating, it never rotated down as you recommend and it additionally never mounted until I did the SMC Reset on my iMac. Utilizing the FW 400 reciprocities, every little item functioned as looked for. No different associated mechanisms alternate than wired USB console and rodent, and I even unplugged the Ethernet association unequivocally to verify nothing else was goofing things up. Anyway, its all working now as anticipated and even with different outside FW 400 drives joined and mounted.