Thread: Method to secure erase the SSD's on Mac

Method to secure erase the SSD's on Mac

I have heard that we will have to do the secure erase on the SSD's on Mac to maintain the SSD performance at the top. I don’t have any idea about this that how this can be done and if this is really needed. So I am leaving this question here. If anyone of you has any idea regarding this then please post that here. I will be thankful to all the replies on this. Please reply fast, I am waiting for the replies.

Re: Method to secure erase the SSD's on Mac

This not only you, there are many of the other users who have no idea about the secure-erase. So I would like to tell you that the secure-erase is nothing but the ATA command which can be detected by many of the SSD controllers and it will mark each NAND blocks as free and so it take back the drive to the “factory" state and as a result of that the performance of that also get to its maximum.

I would like to tell you that running this command could be command can be tremendously bothersome as it turns out. HDDErase is the mainly general utility but needed a BIOS equipped computer for running. Even after that SATA controller as well as BIOS support for this helpfulness is mottled at best. It wouldn't function on my friends Dell PC and there are many reports from many of the sites and all types of motherboards failing to function through this utility.

To boot this you have to hold the "Option" key at the time of startup to invoke the startup disk options. Select the CD. At the end of the boot succession, you encompass the choice to utilize the X GUI otherwise command line. The GUI mode does not hold up widescreen display resolutions. Therefore unless you have an old-school 4:3 monitor around (like I did), or your display supports 4:3 resolutions (the 24" ACD does not), you will have to use the command line.

I would like to warn you that if you are using the conventional HD erase programs to do that than they are doing reverse of what you desire to do through an SSD. Zeroing out an SSD efficiently writes a "0" to each cell. What you require to really do is "unwrite" to each cells, which can just be done through the secure-erase characteristic which is built to drives controller that successfully free up entire written NAND blocks.

The HDDErase utility is the most common method for PC users to do a secure-erase, and in fact, this is what Intel recommends. However, this utility will NOT work on a Mac due to the EFI firmware. It requires BIOS to work and even then, support is spotty from one motherboard to the next. The approach I outlined above, will work equally as well on Mac's or PC's as it completely ignores the firmware/bios and simply instructs the drive's controller to issue the secure-erase command directly.