Thread: unable to charge ipod using firewire charger

unable to charge ipod using firewire charger

I have an old firewire charger at my home. I had got this charger with my old ipod which was 2nd generation. The charger used to work and charge the ipod. But recently I have purchased a new ipod and when I try to charge the new ipod with the charger it says that it is not supported. I want to know why this problem with apple is. I think they should at least have some firmware for it. Does this mean that as I am now using a new ipod then the old charger is now useless? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Re: unable to charge ipod using firewire charger

Well let me tell you that the Apple has changed the dock adapters over the years like from a 21 pin adapter to a 30 pin adapter. So I think the older cables and docks will not be able to charge the new devices. I think you should try charging using the usb port. I think this may help. This is why you get the error message saying the charger is not supported.

I would suggest you to go for dockStubz. It converts the Firewire docks to the USB. As far as I know it is just a tiny adapter that you can plug between the two. I would suggest you to visit the Apple website and search this product. I think it is very easily available. Just try googling a bit on the internet and you will be leaded to many searches. I hope this suggestion of mine helps you.

Well you should know that the Firewire charger provides power at a different voltage to USB. So in order to support Firewire charging, we need to have additional voltage regulation circuitry. Apple has not included this for some time due to the additional costs and space on the logic boards that is required. I think that you can only use that old charger for charging your old iPod. I would recommend you to give the charger to somebody who has 2nd generation iPods.

The old firewire charger is no good for you now as you have a new iPods. The old charger supports only the old 2nd generation iPods. I would suggest you to sell off the old charger to the people who are having the old iPods. There are many people who require the old charger but they are not able to get it as the production no longer exists. You can sell off the charger on the ebay or amazon. There are many other websites on the internet available too that allows you to sell off your stuffs.

Well why you don’t go for a cheap adaptor. The cheap adaptor comes with the iphone 4. You can buy the adaptor from the official websites like ebay and amazon. I think you will get the adaptor for less than a dollar. I was having the same problem with my old ipod. I bought it from ebay for a fair price last year. I coupled it with the usb that comes with the iPod touch. And I must say that it worked for me. I hope it works for you.