Thread: Which Hard Drive is compatible for Lenovo

Which Hard Drive is compatible for Lenovo

Hello guys I'm trying to see what high speed one to 2TB compatible external hard drive I should purchase, and whether I can 'use' a USB three or whether I am stuck with USB two. Have looked at Seagate and Verbatim external hard disk drives...suggestions appreciated...I am completely naïve in terms of technology, I tried searching the net but couldn’t find a relevant information hence I am stuck.

Re: Which Hard Drive is compatible for Lenovo

Since the external drive will be a HARD DISK DRIVE and not an SSD you most likely won't not notice the difference between E-SATA and USB three.0 since you will be limited to the speed of the HARD DISK DRIVE. However, E-SATA has the advantage of not having the whole thing go through a chip to convert all and might give you better access times. Your best bet is E-SATA. It will likely give you better speeds compared to USB three.0. The T510 only has USB two. I think the W510 had USB three.0 using a NEC chip. That NEC USB three.0 chip tops out at about 185 MB/sec. You could basically accomplish speeds of 250MB/sec over E-SATA. I would avoid USB two. You would be somewhat better off with 1394a (Fire wire) over USB two. For a drive that size you will be likely taking a look at a three.5" drive, so make sure you buy a powered attachment.

Should I buy something like a Roseville to attach to the laptop computer and then get a 1-2TB external hard drive to attach to the Roseville? I don't understand the E-SATA vs. USB and "external attachment' lingo. Thanks in advance I'm confused...I currently have a Lenovo T510 configurations: 4313CTO: 15"; Intel CORE 17 VPRO; 8GB RAM; 64-bit OS; Win 7 PROx64; 500GB hard drive; NVIDIA NVS 3100M, Intex 20585 Smart Audio HD. I don’t know if Roseville is the best choice but this is the one I can think of as of now. Kindly suggest anything else if you know that will suit my notebooks configuration.

There is a lot of variety available to choose in today’s time. Any USB SATA external hard drive attachment should work. As we live in different countries I don't know where the best place to buy such a attachment would be in your case. If you cannot find any maybe someone else that live in the US could help you out. You just need a 2.5 inch SATA Hard Disk Drive attachment; you can get them in many computer stores for around between 10 to 30 USD averages. If the internal 2.5" HD for your HP computer got a different kind of connector is has to be because it's an ATA and not SATA HD. The ATA connector is different, but in this case you just have to find a SATA 2.5" attachment and it should work fine

The Roseville, and others like it, is empty attachment. You can instead install a 3.5" SATA HD inside the attachment. There are other - smaller - units that can use a 2.5" laptop-sized drive. These attachments support different ways of connecting to a laptop (or desktop): USB 2, USB 3, E-SATA, depending on the attachment chosen. The attachments for 3.5" drives typically also have an external power brick or "wall-wart" power supply. The 2.5" attachments sometimes do, and sometimes are powered via USB. There are also many complete devices that provide an attachment with a drive already installed. They tend to be "prettier" and nicely Inbuilt. Also usually more expensive than an attachment + HD purchased separately (this varies) and in my experience tend to run hotter. You may prefer the convenience of a one-piece Inbuilt solution, but I like the flexibility of an attachment + HD of my choosing.[edit] The Inbuilt units often (always?) come with the included HD already formatted. An attachment + user-provided HD will require drive initializing and formatting. Sometimes a blank drive will have to be initialized in Win disk management using the USB connection before it can be seen via the E-SATA connection. I don't know if this is a quirk of my attachments, drives, or Windows.

As per your hardware configuration you ought to get the 500 GB 7200 rpm HARD DISK DRIVE for the laptop computer you have, because the thing is like though you can put any of the HARD DISK DRIVE with different capacity, and after all the capacity doesn’t matter at all, the thing that matter is the dimension of the HARD DISK DRIVE. If any model is best suitable along with your laptop computer, you can fit it in the laptop computer for definite. My recommendation is to have Hitachi Travel star SATA 500GB 7200rpm for your laptop computer. I am agree with the above user as you can purchase a HARD DISK DRIVE with any capacity but still as far as I do know you ought to get the HARD DISK DRIVE from Seagate, because the model provided by this companies are specially made for the laptop computer that
    you have. If I would be in your place I buy HARD DISK DRIVE such as a SSD as the method drive and put the 500GB in a ThinkPad Serial ATA Hard Drive. But still my recommendation is like you ought to get the according to your convenience.