Thread: Lenovo Thinkpad T520 performance

Lenovo Thinkpad T520 performance

I am having the Lenovo Thinkpad T520 and I want to ask that if it will be fine to disable the paging file? I was searching for that on internet and there I found that there are some of the articles where they have mentioned that it can increase the performance of the system but there are also some of the posts where it was mentioned that it might obstruct the system. So I am starting this thread to know that what you people think about this.

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad T520 performance

If I would be at your place then I will never disable the paging file. I am saying that because the system managed default will begin with the RAM size and therefore, if you are having 8 GB of RAM then the page file will be of 8GB or bigger than that it this is required. Windows 7 is utilizing RAM in order to cache the programs up to the point. I hope that you will also not do that because it will not be beneficial to you.

When paging logical addresses and physical addresses are different then the logical address space describes the organization of main memory from the program perspective. The physical address space is actually given by the available memory. On many computer architectures is between the CPU and the memory still running a memory controller that can make the further address transformations, such as the allocation to the individual memory banks, the fading memory of external devices (video memory, memory-mapped I / O), etc. These additional address conversions are not part of the paging.

This technique of paging, however, has its limits. This occur in a computer system if too many page faults because there are too many random accesses to dissimilar memory areas then the system is mainly concerned with the recharging and swapping pages. The processor remains the most time in the waiting state; the available computing power is reduced significantly. This condition is known as thrashing:

To avoid thrashing, the memory may not be proportionate to the swap space. At any given time should be at least one of the processes, the system has to process that can be processed by the processor, ie: the data or instructions that are at present being processed are located in memory. In this mode the processor waits not on the loading of pages but is working on a process while other processes are loaded in parallel pages.

The logical address space can be "gaps" have. These are pages that are not mapped to page frames. Usually exists for a special flag in the page table or a particular page frame is reserved for this purpose. Once a program is accessing such a page, the processor is automatically a "page fault" is triggered, the treatment is handled by the operating system.