Thread: How to clean install windows 7 on Lenovo ThinkPad T400 ?

How to clean install windows 7 on Lenovo ThinkPad T400 ?

Hi I own a T400 thinkpad and there were preinstalled Windows Vista Business, but with my desktop also I uses to use Windows 7 only, so I would say I am been use friendly with the system that I am using and because of that only I want to install the same windows in my thinkpad as well. So please let me know the easiest way of installing clean windows 7 on my machine. I don’t know actually how to do that? do system update also does the same thing as clean install? Any suggestion?

Re: How to clean install windows 7 on Lenovo ThinkPad T400 ?

First of all let me tell you the difference between updating the windows and installing a fresh copy of windows, while you update the windows it will simply download the updates only and then install that only, and there all the programs files also would be the same. and off course there isn’t any process of formatting, so it will install in that particular drive where you have already install the previous windows, so according to me installing a new window is the only good option.

Exactly I also have the same opinion as the above user as you should install the new OS only in the machine you have. So installing a new operating system isn’t a big deal, but before that you should always make sure that you have taken backup of all the data from the laptop you have, because as you format the drive it will wiped out all the data from it. And if possible you should format the whole drive and partitioned it again.

You can have two options as buying the original DVD of windows 7 and then install it from there or you can install the windows by downloading the ISO file from the internet and then burn the image file to the DVD. And after all downloading would be the best option as that you’ll get it for free of cost, and would get the same copy as the original. You can virtually install the windows as well. but that will not format the machine.

First of all whenever you insert the disk in to the drive reboot the machine, as you do this the CD will prompt you for installing the windows, so follow the steps as mentioned on the screen. As it will prompt you for selecting the drive in which you want to install the windows, but you need to first partitioned the drive and then only continue with installing the windows to particular drive, and you can partition the drive according to your convenience.

Thanks for the replies guys as I have already downloaded the Image files of the windows 7, and I was about to burn it on the disk as well, but the thing is like can’t we do the same thing virtually? Can’t we partitioned the hard drive same way, I mean virtually? Because making backup of all the data is quite impossible for me at current moment. So what shall I do next for installing the window, as I must have to lose the data I have.

No you cannot lose the data, because you should try to take backup of only thing which is actually important to you. And as the above user mentioned if you install the machine virtually you would not be able to partitioned the HDD in fact you can’t format it even. so if you are wishing to install the clean windows you should have format via the disk only, or else installing virtually is also good way.