Thread: ZEN MX supports only DOS format playlist?

ZEN MX supports only DOS format playlist?

I recently purchased ZEN MX and made some playlists. What I figured out was that ZEN makes a list of location of all the songs in the older DOS format. The zen reads this without any trouble. But when I tried to put all my playlist from my PC to Zen then it failed to recognize them. I created these playlist using media monkey. All the tracks are available in my Zen but this still doesn’t help. I was able to play the same on my i-pod. Is there some possible way to get this working?

Re: ZEN MX supports only DOS format playlist?

The same problem used to occur with me. It’s not your player’s problem but the problem is with media monkey. The playlist in media monkey are made with your normal windows format rather than the traditional way. However, there is a fix for this which is provided at their official website. I’m not sure if you can download it from other websites too. These scripts can corrupt your media player and may also contain a virus.

There is a java script which can be added as fix or a plug-in with the media monkey. What it does is instead of making the playlist in windows format, it will switch back to DOS format. I haven’t used it yet but people say it works. Also you can get in touch with Creative Technology support for the solution to this problem. Or just create playlist from some other media player than media monkey.

You need to paste that script in the scripts of media monkey.
    After this connect your creative zen mx player and make playlists.
    Once you are done with making playlists send them to “My Zen” folder of your player.
    After that you need to run that script which you downloaded. You can run it from Extras / Scripts / name of the script
    Remove your player from the USB.
    The playlist should work. You can this will all other playlist

I have had this problem earlier too. I used the script provided and it worked but not always. Sometimes, you need to change the name of the songs and make them shorter. The playlist is converted to the previous format (DOS 8.3). However, songs in that format a limitation for name and could not have long names. When you use the java script it doesn’t changes the filename. You can shorten it by opening the playlist file with notepad and editing it. Don’t change the extension of the playlist otherwise it won’t work.

I have the same problem and I tried all other possible variations. I even contacted the “Creative Technology Support”. They told me to use centrale instead of media monkey. Centrale is media management software created by their technical team. They used 8.3 file naming formats. Finally, I had to manually change their name to shorter ones. Trust me, it is the only way. If you open the list created by your player, you will find that they are created in DOS format like “~260.mp3 “.