Thread: Unable to get surround sound on Xbox 360 with windows Vista

Unable to get surround sound on Xbox 360 with windows Vista

I'm running the latest drivers for Vista for my X-Fi Platinum and I have my Xbox 360 connected to the I/O drive bay. I understand that I cannot get surround sound, and have set the Xbox 360 to stereo, but I can't work out how you activate or un-mute the optical input so that I get sound. Does anyone know how to do this, since in the Vista 'Recording Devices' tab, the digital-in is listed as 'Currently Unavailbile? Please share your ideas with me.

Re: Unable to get surround sound on Xbox 360 with windows Vista

Hello I am having same issue with it. I can't get surround sound also because I can't set it to decode in the audio console. There is only default and bypass. Anyone know how to get the decode back because I want my surround sound back. I don't feel like restarting my comp and logging into xp to get my surround sound back. The decoding is defiantly not in the capacity of the drivers in their current state, but I’m sure both of us would settle for stereo if we could at least get the optical in going?

First, make sure the 360 is set to Digital Stereo in the audio setup. Then, make sure your 360 is connected by your optical cable to the front bay through the left optical port (Digital In). Next, right click on the speaker icon in your taskbar and click "Playback Devices."I can't be certain because I'm at work and not my home PC, but I think this is the option page you want. If not, right click on the Speakers heading and choose properties. Click through your tabs on this dialog box and you will see a check box labeled "Digital IO." Make sure it is checked. Then continue to click through the tabs and you will get to a tab with a whole bunch of sliders, mute buttons (Speaker with or without an "x" ) and buttons labeled "Balance". SPID/F and Digital In are unmuted.

I did what that post said put Xbox 360 in Digital Stereo mode unmute some stuff nothing happened? Well Never mind about the above statement I just made my audio now works with 5.1 Kudos to you my good sir thank you for the help truly made my day a little brighter!! Word to the wise follow those instructions above apparently Microsoft has figured out to do something right! Thanks again for the help above good instructions.

I just upgraded from XP to Vista and everything works except the sound for my Xbox 360. I installed the latest Vista Beta drivers and followed the steps above but still do not hear any sound. In XP the sound worked through the Optical Input with no problems. In the Creative Audio Console I have SPDIF settings set to default using 48 kHz sampling rate. In Bit matched it shows SPDIF In as Unknown bit, Stereo 48 kHz when my Xbox 360 is turned on. Also I can see the red laser coming from the SPDIF cable so I know the Xbox 360 is sending the signal. But still it’s not working for me.

Hello thank you for your replies guys I am clear with my doubt. I just follow the all steps as per the instructions. And now it’s working for me. But I don’t know what’s wrong with you guys. If you guys still facing same issue then please go through the steps once again. And perform it appropriately. I am sure that you guys are making some mistake with it. And still you are not able to perform it then I will suggest you to contact with the tech support they will guide you in proper way.