Thread: External modem for Netbook

External modem for Netbook

My online college courses are going to start from next month and therefore I was thinking to get the netbook for the reason of portability. The college I am joining need 56k baud modem that is not integrated on any of the netbooks that I found till now. Does someone have any recommendation on if it is a good thought to purchase an exterior modem designed for this type of device or I have to lose the netbook idea and start taking the classes on pc. I am purposely involved in a netbook due to the price but it just might not provide what I am looking. Do you have any idea that which netbook will fulfill my requirements?

Re: External modem for Netbook

As my home access for the internet is from the dial-up and for that reason, I purchased the Conexant Dell 56K External USB modem adapter that is able to connect at 48k. Please be certain that you acquire a driver disk through the modem. I would like to tell you that DELL drivers are available on the support site of the Dell. So you can also go for this and I wish that this will be helpful to you.

Normally the modems are provided in the netbook itself. But in case that you are not having the modem within your netbook then you can check that what the ports that the netbook is having. It must have the USB port in that most likely not a serial port and may have a PCMCIA / PC Card slot. If you are having that slot in your netbook then you will be able to connect the external modem on your netbook.

Why you are wondering much about that. If you want then you can make use of any of the USB DialUp Modem and that will do the work for you. My suggestion to you is to go for the HP modem that will provide better speed as compared to any other brand. As I am using the same so I can say this with confident that you will get better experience with this. If you love to go for some other brand then you can search for that on newegg but before purchasing that, you should read the review of that once.

I am sure that you will never get the netbooks which will have the built in land line modems. Many of them are having the built in 3G wireless modem with the Wi-Fi. If you have the telephone line modem then it will be better for you to go with the USB but that is not very good. You should consider some low end notebook which is having the USB support for the modem.

I think that you will require more than a dial-up modem. You need an ISP dial-up. Do you have one? If you buy an external modem, you can download the driver from the website of the modem. I have an Acer netbook. I bought an external USB modem fax from Tiger Direct that worked very well. Now I have cable, so you no longer need. There are certain china netbook model that is having support for the external modem.