Thread: GPS settings for Blackberry Curve 8520.

GPS settings for Blackberry Curve 8520.

I recently brought my new Blackberry Curve 8520. Yesterday when I was working on ‘Local Settings’, it showed my GPS point with longitude and latitude. Then I turned off my Bluetooth and tried viewing the location settings but to my surprise everything disappeared. There was no GPS data and the source showed the message ’none’. Now the Location service is showing ‘Location Off’. I am unable to understand what is happening. Sometimes it is showing GPS points, sometimes it is not. If anyone has got any information regarding this then please help me. It will be appreciated.

Re: GPS settings for Blackberry Curve 8520.

You should probably read more about the Blackberry Curve 8520 model on Internet because this model does not support GPS as it does not have built-in GPS. The GPS was working well in your device before because you must have got Bluetooth connection with some GPS dongle. That is why when your Bluetooth was turned off, the connection got disconnected and you were unable to access GPS anymore. As your device does not have GPS, those settings are eventually ignored by the blackberry Operating System.

Thanks for correcting me and sharing the information that I don’t have GPS in my Blackberry Curve 8520. So, now as there is no GPS in my device, what can I do so that I am able to view the locations like we do in GPS? How can I make it possible to get something like the GPS? Is there any software available for the same? IF yes what are they and how can I install them in my device. Please help me if anyone has got any suggestions regarding my query. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

As the Blackberry Curve 8520 does not support GPS, you can make use of Google maps. With the help of Google maps you can easily know about your current location. Your service provider gives you all this information through the antenna. You can easily download Google maps in your device and use it. Don’t forget to configure your mail account. You can do that by following thse steps:
    Go to Settings (Configuration).
    • If you wish to configure all the given options, you have to select Configuration Assistant
    • And if you want to configure your mail, select mail configuration.

I downloaded Google maps in by Blackberry Curve 8520 as you suggested me to do. It downloaded perfectly fine and was even visible in the ‘Downloads’ folder. Then the real trouble started. I clicked on the Google maps to install them but nothing seems to be happening. It would shown the installation screen and within seconds roll back to the ‘Downloads’ folder. I don’t know what is happening. But it seems like even the Google maps are not installing in my device. I repeated the process many times but only with failure. Any suggestions? Please help.

Download the Google maps and just before running them, follow the below procedures. Everything will work smoothly, once you are done with this procedure.
    • Click on Options icon.
    • Select "Applications" option.
    • Here you will find all the installed Google maps.
    • Click on each of the Google maps and click on "Edit Permissions"
    • Change all the permissions for Google maps to "Allow"
    • Now click the "Back" button and select Save.

Do we need a BB data plan for google maps ? I mean won't it work well with wifi ?

Quote Originally Posted by mansi jain View Post
    Do we need a BB data plan for google maps ? I mean won't it work well with wifi ?
    Google uses internet packets for connection and showing the maps, so yes, Google Maps uses data. Apps that require TCP settings also use data - that's just a setting required by your carrier to connect to that application. Tethering (using the BB as a modem) also uses data. Hope that gives you some idea.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Okay ! Thanks a lot !