Thread: HP ENVY 17 is overheating while playing world of warcraft

HP ENVY 17 is overheating while playing world of warcraft

I had bought a new my HP ENVY 17 few months back. I was playing the world of warcraft and suddenly the system stop responding and later the mouse stop working and then the monitor went off and for that I need to hole the power button to turn it on again. For this I had also scan my full system but there is no virus. Is it due to overheating of my CPU can anyone guide to how to persist with the problem and what may be cause of problem. Thanks in advanced.

Re: HP ENVY 17 is overheating while playing world of warcraft

Well I think it might be due to overheating of graphics card for this just download the CPU ID HARDWRAE MONITER and just check the temperature of your system. Even I’m having the same laptop and I had check my laptop temperature is usually 50 degree after surfing on net and when I play the game the CPU temperature usually raise to 81 degree. You must try to place the external fan under laptop while playing the games.

Even I had faced the similar sort of problem but I think my problem was due to the patched which is usually putting my display card in the power saving mode. I think you might have got the similar problem for this just go to display card and then just enable the power play and form there choose the maximize battery for both hope it work. Well I think this model of hp is not so good in term of cooling. You can get rid from this problem by over clocking the fan but I think it will going to void your warranty.

I think this is the common problem with the HP ENVY 17 after playing games for about 20 to 30 minutes my system over heat and the video suddenly freeze and then screen black out and to get it to normal I need to do a hard reboot. Regarding this I had complaint to the hp and they told me to restore the original drivers and then later they said me to do full system recovery but the problem still persist and later they had run the video diagnostics test on the net and they said they had found some problem with the system and now I had given it for the repair.

Well the hp had replace the fan for my system and the problem still persist with me and when I complain them they say it might be due to the game in the windows 7 64bit and its an compatible issue with the game. Now the hp had decided to look for it again as the unit is getting extremely hot. I think so there is the problem internally or the last option left for it to over clock the system. Hope the hp provide the proper solution for it.

Even I’m having the similar laptop and my system usually get heated so I had updated my video card with the help of SP49450.exe which I had got it from the hp site. It has not totally avoided the problem but there is little improvement in the system. Not like before now it just get freeze and fro few almost 5 seconds and gives the black screen for almost 2 second and the things go back to the normal and I don’t need to restart the system. I think so this is the problem due to the drivers or the hardware that had being installed in it.

Well this laptop provides with the good display and has come up for the gaming. But the main problem in this laptop is overheating which is specially listed for the graphics and gaming. And I usually use the system regularly and the overheating happen when it is at regular use. To persist with the problem I had even updated the system drivers and even other update related to the system and had even put the external fan but nothing has helped me out.

Someone posted to reduce the frame rate. That gets around it. I have foreground and background set to about 50.....fyi the human eye can’t tell any difference so don't cry about it. That being said, it’s still BS that HP hasn't recalled and addressed this considering it is a "gaming" laptop. I don’t keep tally but I’m pretty sure WOW is one of the biggest games for PC since it has around 12 million clients.

I have an Envy17 3D full specs ….FULL. I’m an IT director so I’m a little spoiled; And it was still failing, no doubt the video card was causing the overheating because the processors definitely were not peaking. I will say 3D WOW is freaking awesome with Trident 3D, but HP needs to figure out how to cool the gear they are loading.

Before the frame rate adjustment in the game, I would crash in about an hour on a wooden surface. Same surface, no overclocking, no cooling pad, and tonight I have been cranking away on my new tank pally for about 8 hours and the side isn’t even “hot” as far as vents can get on a laptop.

Long story short ….ADJUST THE FRAME RATE. But please continue to yell at HP about this because it is bullsh!t.
    Last edited by wowplayer; 24-07-2011 at 08:45 AM.