Thread: Difference between charging from USB and AC charger

Difference between charging from USB and AC charger

Whenever I connect my HTC desire to the USB then it start charging that. When I do that then it shows me the popup message which says that the phone is using extra power than coming from the USB. When I charge that with the AC adapter then I do not get such messages. Can you tell me that why this is showing me this message. Is this being harmful for the phone to get charged by the USB? Please provide your suggestion about this. Thank you.

Re: Difference between charging from USB and AC charger

That is definitely going to be problematic for your phone. The best way to charge the phone is to make use of the AC charger. If you are using some other source then it is possible that it will give more or less power to the phone that may damage the battery or some essential part of the phone. So to be on safe side, you will have to charge only from the AC charger and not from some other source of charging. I hope that you will not do that from next time.

If any other source of charging is not able to handle the additional current then it will pass the 12 V current that is going straight to the phone which might work for some time but it may also lead to overload the phone and as a reason of that it will be damaged. So make use of the original charger and charge with that. If you are using the USB adapter then also you should check that it is providing you the exact current that is needed by the phone to charge.

If your charger is providing the extra power as needed by the phone to charge then this will create a bottle neck situation for the phone and that will harm your battery and as a result of that the life of the battery that you are using with your phone will be reduced. USB charger is good if you are somewhere where there is no other source to charge the battery but don’t use that regularly. As far as possible, try to avoid that.

A standard USB socket on a PC is rated at 500mA. A phone otherwise some other device that is plugged to this will not pull more than 500mA otherwise it risks damaging the device. Certainly this indicates that the manufacturers of car chargers are latching on this and utilizing this in excess to the current protection, to end the 5p voltage regulator as of being melted. If you short out pins and just remove this protection than any of the charger is going to quit very quickly, because it's not meant to cope through the sort of current which will be demanded.

The problem occurs with the 500th not be enough to power the phone while running multiple applications. People are running, and other GPS and a standard of 500 mA is not enough for what even the phone is connected to a power supply is still downloading from the battery. I did these tests using a split USB cable and a Fluke digital multimeter. I cannot see how lead can make a difference in the load. There are 4 wires, two for power, data and display two common to the outers. This is a one to one relationship, there is no black magic. Something different that can only have a faulty cable.

When i got my dell venue 7 3730 and i put it on charge and it would say a/c charge and would charge but recently it started saying usb charge and it would act like it was charging but be discharging. It would sometimes go up one percent then it would start going down. Now i have to keeping unplugging and plugging it in and wait to see if it would charge or discharge. It is the original adapter but a different usb cable. Got any suggestions before i pull out all my hair? Is there a difference between a/c and usb charge?

Quote Originally Posted by jebsson View Post
    When i got my dell venue 7 3730 and i put it on charge and it would say a/c charge and would charge but recently it started saying usb charge and it would act like it was charging but be discharging. It would sometimes go up one percent then it would start going down. Now i have to keeping unplugging and plugging it in and wait to see if it would charge or discharge. It is the original adapter but a different usb cable. Got any suggestions before i pull out all my hair? Is there a difference between a/c and usb charge?
    I would suspect either there is a problem with the usb cable or else the charging port of Dell Venue 7 3730 device. Can you try to charge it via PC only and see if it is charging properly or not?