Thread: Unable to retrieve page in kindle based on page numbers

Unable to retrieve page in kindle based on page numbers

Hi guys. Maybe my being new to Kindle cannot come as a surprise to the rest of you. First of all I love the Kindle for novels. But do any of you tried to use reference E-Books? I recently purchased a cookbook E-book on Amazon. After viewing the index on my Kindle I wanted to go to page 280 for a specific recipe. I went to the "GO TO" function, but could not retrieve the page. I called Kindle support and explained that this reference E-Book (cookbook) was formatted by the publisher without page numbers. When inquire if there was a way to turn the numbers in the E-Book location page numbers I was told NO. The closest I could see, the only way to get my prescription was to hit the forward button 280 times! Anyway, I checked Amazon for 26 more cookbooks e-books. None of the 26 has been formatted with page numbers! Do any of you folks experience? Are you kidding?

Re: Unable to retrieve page in kindle based on page numbers

E-books in general scent of reference books. Even if there are page numbers to jump even more of a pain than a paper book, at least IMO. I love ebooks for leisure reading simple, where I'm reading a book in front of the turn of a page at a time. All I have to jump in, browse, tag, etc. I prefer printed books in Kindle books, books or EBooks etc tablets are too slow to browse for my taste. Search can work well, but reference books tend to spend more time just browsing, navigation, etc, and prefer the role to do so.

Kindle is easy to find. Instead of pressing the button 280 times, find the name of the recipe and you can go there. Next, a marker, so the next time you may find it easier. Also, when you click to go to, there was a table of content option? Hopefully there will be a hyperlink so you can come knock on your prescriptions from there. And please do not start blaming the problem; it is the formatting from the authors that make it difficult to reach places.

The page numbers alone will not help. The editor has to create hyperlinks in the index of the individual recipes. Most publishers have been too lazy for that. For a cookbook should ideally have a table of contents with subcategories, and names of each recipe below, with a link to the current prescription. Other types of reference books should have that kind of thing. Otherwise, you can search for pasta, for example in the book and find all instances of that word. That is the function that the index of a paper book is trying to replicate.

No, not really a surprise. The page numbers on the Kindle is moderately new and not all books have that feature enabled. It is entirely the publisher and there is nothing Amazon can do about it. Paging to a certain number of times would not work anyway, since the page numbers refer to a particular print and do not correspond to each display on the Kindle - that changes according to the font size that is kindle model used and that they have. If the function of page number is not enabled, there is no quick way to get where they need to be. If you wanted to spend time setting it up, you can always go through and mark the important places of reference in the future, but that's all.

I think that's more of a "dirty secret" for publishers than it is for the Kindle. I thought of publishing an electronic book with 100 comments, but the first thing I noticed is that it should format the table of contents properly. And speaking of a larger problem: that a large number of publishers of electronic books are only individuals like me who are trying to share ideas with the world now that self-publishing has become a reality.
    Someone, probably working on a cookbook perfectly formatted and you can one be there. For example, I have seen ebooks that have an "interactive" table of contents, which is really everything in the table of contents linked to that specific page. Then you do not even need the page numbers are really just a means to an end as click takes you directly to the page you want!

I love to have cook books on my Kindle. I can easily browse or search by recipe name or ingredient or type of plate, in addition to using bookmarking highlights the label. Those that have been optimized for Kindle, so the COT is hyperlinks. I'm not going through the photos in cookbooks, because mine never seem to anyway! I also added a series of PDF files of my favorite recipes that I have on my computer. Thus, if I'm in the store and need a reminder of ingredients, the recipes are there. I do not think I've tried to use a number of page Go to my Kindle.