Thread: Kindle helped me to get rid of My book case

Kindle helped me to get rid of My book case

I feel as if I ought to be moving in that direction, but I can't quite bring myself to do it I'm sure there will be a lot of books I would never get rid of, but I'm also sure I could 'thin the herd' a little if I put my mind to it. But I did that once before many years ago, getting rid of some books I felt I wouldn't read again and didn't need to keep and I found it incredibly difficult to let go of them. I love my books and I have a huge sentimental attachment to them.

Re: Kindle helped me to get rid of My book case

I had a lot of paperback books that I had accumulated over the years. Most of them had been read at least a couple of times. The covers were worn and had been taped together. They were all dusty and old. Some of the novels were hardback. I gave all of them to my wife's teenage nephew since he reads a lot. He was happy to get them. I found duplicates of most of the books online. Some I was able to get free, but others I bought. So practically all of my paper books I replaced with Kindle books.

I keep some of the nonfiction hardback books since I liked them and they weren't available for the Kindle. The important thing is the story inside of the book, whether it be made of paper or digital. I tend to reread novels more than once if it is something I like so I just store them on my computer until I want to read them, then upload to my Kindle. Maybe I will consider was my youngest approaches high school/college. But she is still in the learning to read process and the books are the key to holding her interest.

Some years ago I gave away my bound copies of the Encyclopedia Britannica and was glad to see them go. Freed up a lot of shelf space. A couple of years later I filled the back of my pickup truck with books and donated them to the library for their annual sale. I'm pretty minimized on the bookcases already, but I still have boxes of books in the attic. My wife recently came back from a convention with 8 or 10 books, and I just groaned. There's nowhere to put them but to have them sitting around in stacks.

Absolutely I got rid of of my paperbacks, only keeping a few that I might re-read and which aren't available on Kindle. I also kept all my reference books (mostly historical) none of which are available on Kindle. A lot of my hardcover’s are signed first editions so I only thinned those out by about 25%. However, that meant that I reduced by book collection, including all types of books, by about a thousand books! Goodwill was very happy and I made a lot of room.