Thread: Is it a good idea to buy a Kindle for an 8year old boy?

Is it a good idea to buy a Kindle for an 8year old boy?

I love my K2 and my reading has increased so much! I have it with me all the time, even at work, which is not good. Here's the thing, my brother 8 years old, loves to read too, so I just bought a new one almost K3 coworker in the drive to think I could give my brother a birthday present. Now that the Kindle is in my hands, I'm beginning to wonder if this is a good idea that he lives in another state with my parents, so they have little control over: how careful he is with the device, which reads, and how many books can be obtained. My parents are not very tech savy and as gifts kindle I am, I feel I should be liable for the cost of the books that go along with it also instead of me "forcing" parents to pay for eBooks?
    Does Kindle have a lot of free stuff for kids your age? Any ideas for maintaining be in command of over the reading of my brother / purchase?

Re: Is it a good idea to buy a Kindle for an 8year old boy?

I bought one for my 9 years old. I have not seen a lot of free books to children if you go to the Kindle store and click on books for children who have a top 100 books for free. A site that I use for books is daily flights Lee, Jr. Edition. I've been very clear with my two children that if they buy a book, even free, I get an email. My two children have found that the Kindle is fairly easy to navigate and have not had to ask me a lot of questions. Both boys have been very careful care of your lights. We emphasized how fragile and that the Kindle is received to the two cases with a lot of filler. You can try what some of the members to do so by creating a "budget book" for him to purchase a gift card Kindle.

I recommend buying it a few games for the Kindle (as Scrabble or Monopoly). His brother could play it over and over again without having to buy anything new that would reduce the temptation to shop the Kindle store. But I think you'll really enjoy the gift. Just remember when I was eight; my favorite books were the Henry Huggins series. That the series is now obtainable as Kindle ebooks. You can have it.

I believe I read this position after another part of this forum. This is how a parent handles a Kindle for her son. The father sends samples of children's books for Kindle. If the child reads the sample and like it, they know they're pre-approved for you to download and buy the book. If there is a book for which they have not pre-approved, the child has to ask permission to buy other books. Well I don’t think so that this is the good idea.

If you cannot be on hand to check what you are downloading, then make sure that the email account is yours. Thus, revenues from all that shopping, including gifts, will come to you. Make sure you know you cannot download anything without your knowledge. If you do a separate account for him, the idea of a gift certificate is a good idea. Once the account is set, remove the c / card details and the only way it can be a purchase is the balance GC. Of course, if you find anything you think you would like that you can always send or shows yourself. Having a separate account that will be easier for him to take over once he is older and keep all purchases.

This would be my suggestion to open the account in his name, but you have the record of credentials that can cope with shopping and all that their parents do not have to. If they are not very knowledgeable about technology that probably realize that anyway. You may want to think just adding your Kindle to your account; you may also have books in mind that parents prefer not to have access.
    You could even do some of the gift of a monthly allowance for books. If you purchase a gift card and apply it to the account and then remove your CC information, as suggested, will not be able to buy beyond their budget. But if he makes money and want to apply a bit more to the account of himself, can help do that. In addition, you can give the books to him as a gift like that you buy on your own, but can send to your Kindle.

Depends on the child whether he is very mature and responsible? I would have loved to have had a Kindle when I was nine. I was a big reader. The only danger is that if I had access to the store, I might have been tempted to shop for myself, without really understanding the amount of money spent. Come to think of it, yet I have this problem. Do you think that gift cards are great for children who do not always understand a budget.